Nerite Snail White Spot on Flesh

Anomaly16

Hey, so I just saw my nerite snail with this white spot on his flesh. It's on skin that's normally pulled up under his shell, but since he was feeding at a funny angle, I noticed it and took pictures right away. I don't know if this is something that's normal to be there or if he's got some kind of sickness/parasite/sore. 

Also, he does have that pit in his shell, but I will be picking up some calcium blocks for him this week. I just noticed the white spot and if I need to get something else to treat it I'd prefer to do it in one trip as it's a bit of a drive to the pet store.

20220510_171855.jpg

20220510_171838.jpg

I am by no means an expert and my nerite is a boy. Based on watching my mystery snails actually lay the eggs this looks like an egg being transported out and down the foot to be deposited. Again no first hand experience with nerite slaying so do not take that as a definite but if eggs were left behind it may be a possibility. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

I am by no means an expert and my nerite is a boy. Based on watching my mystery snails actually lay the eggs this looks like an egg being transported out and down the foot to be deposited. Again no first hand experience with nerite slaying so do not take that as a definite but if eggs were left behind it may be a possibility. 

That's what it looks like to me as well. 

On 5/10/2022 at 7:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

On 5/10/2022 at 7:15 PM, BrettD said:

That's what it looks like to me as well. 

Huh. I haven't actually sexed them to be honest. But the white spot is on his face between his eyes. Is that normally where the eggs would come out?

On 5/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, Anomaly16 said:

Huh. I haven't actually sexed them to be honest. But the white spot is on his face between his eyes. Is that normally where the eggs would come out?

Yea it's close. I don't want to say that I know this for certain, because our memories aren't perfect, but I remember thinking it surprising me where the egg came out when I saw it. If you don't see little sesame seeds stuck to anything in your tank, though, that might not be it. 

This is the best series of pictures I could find. Take a look at all of them, but I think the 5th one down is the most useful.

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/threads/caught-my-nerite-snail-laying-eggs.34959/

Edited by BrettD