Jump to content

1 problem after the other…


Ryan317
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok so kinda a 3 part story…

Had my 29G tank up and running for about a month explosive plant and algae growth and 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0-10 Nitrate. Added my betta, week later added a bolivian ram, another week later 9 cherry barbs. was going to quarantine but shop said not to as they do it (very good shop so i trust) Yay everything worked PERFECT. gonna let the tank develop a little more and get some algae eaters/loaches.

Part 2 smh. So basically the 3 Otocinclus i got did fine but the 3 yo-yo loaches I got were a whole other story… I’m new to this but do extensive research so I know they weren’t like in shock or anything but the next day i noticed them acting a little strange… I look it up online “oh loaches are just weird” hmmmmm ok. next day they are like really starting to freak out and i’m like ok something is wrong and then I find out about flashing and all that but still can’t tell exactly what is wrong. Day 3 BOOM the 3 yoyo loaches EXPLODED with Ich (oh they were scratching) I honestly thought since it was later stage I was going to lose them all. On the 5th I Got Ich-X and treated whole tank (store instruction)raised temp to 82 (I heard barbs can handle temp up to 79/82 from different places and I figured there would be leniency on a shorter timeframe.) My barbs weren’t very schooling but were very active and now they all were just hiding in the bottom back corner of the tank around my dwarf aquarium lily. and usually they don’t even want to be that close to each other.

Part 3 :(… I figured it must be because heat rises so they were chilling at the bottom I turned it back down from 82 to the regular temp of 79 and left for work… come home and Lil Red (smallest male barb) passed away and i’m just soooo confused… I figure maybe his body was just too small and couldn’t handle it? Sad but only 1 loss and all the yoyo made an incredible recovery not the worst right. Also all of the other barbs were back out swimming after I took him out last night… ok back to normal right ? But then this morning I wake up to another dead female barb (still smaller one tho) and all of them hiding like face down in the corner of the tank. I dont get it they weren’t even the fish with the disease but idk maybe I just cooked them I feel so bad…

Water Parameters:

  • pH 7.4 
  • Nitrates 0~10 (super fast plants)
  • Hardness… Sorry idk but they were fine for a month so! 
  • Nitrite… Always 0
  • Ammonia… Always 0
  • KH/Buffer… Sorry idk but they were fine for a month so! 
  • Water Temperature… Plz read story to fully understand.
  • Im including a link to a video below because I feel as if it is soooooo much better if a look and breathing and everything. Please help me save the rest of my barbs!

https://imgur.com/a/yjRrlrT

53B68584-E06A-4120-9D29-FCDD50E84EDE.jpeg

E8079F33-2EBA-4DBA-8682-01113B128667.jpeg

938CDCD9-EBC6-47A3-A2FB-31A779D53BA5.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(1) Treat sick fish in a quarantine tank.

When treatment is done in a display tank, a handful of things can go wrong.

(2) Add an airstone.

Raising temperature lowers dissolved oxygen. Your fish need more air. So will your bio colonies.

(3) Add some FritzZyme 7 or similar.

Your bio colonies aren’t that established. Meds can affect this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, Fish Folk said:

(1) Treat sick fish in a quarantine tank.

When treatment is done in a display tank, a handful of things can go wrong.

(2) Add an airstone.

Raising temperature lowers dissolved oxygen. Your fish need more air. So will your bio colonies.

(3) Add some FritzZyme 7 or similar.

Your bio colonies aren’t that established. Meds can affect this.

1. Yeah I wanted to but the store said since it was Ich it would shortly spread to the new fish.

2. I have an airstone.

3. You’re probably right about that only weird thing is Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0 so..? Maybe it’s just the plants absorbing certain parts of the ammonia and nitrite and not the biofilter…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I can't see any spots in the pictures are they are they raised or flats against the body as Epistylis can often be confused with ich he's how you tell the two apart if it was s ich you want to raise the to 82-84 dose ick x daily and do a water change in 24hrs and redose if it's Epistylis to want to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment like kanaplex in food your can also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 shouldn't harm your plants as ich causes massive electrolyte loss which the salt will help with @Ryan317

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2022 at 7:23 AM, Colu said:

I can't see any spots in the pictures are they are they raised or flats against the body as Epistylis can often be confused with ich he's how you tell the two apart if it was s ich you want to raise the to 82-84 dose ick x daily and do a water change in 24hrs and redose if it's Epistylis to want to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment like kanaplex in food your can also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 shouldn't harm your plants as ich causes massive electrolyte loss which the salt will help with @Ryan317

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Thank you but, My cherry barbs are not sick at all actually. It is 100% Ich though. I have been treating the new yoyo loaches i got in the main tank for ich (store instructions) and yes I confirmed it was ich and I actually treated it in the loaches. my barbs are not sick just randomly dying…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2022 at 10:27 AM, Colu said:

Any other symptoms rapid breathing hanging at the surface sunken belly

Nope… maybe a litttttle increased breathing? but deff not at the top or gasping they are like glued to the bottom. 6 of the 9 have died now tho. of the last 3 ther are 2 (females) actually up swimming like they were before. still one male looking like the others before they passed 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If could be. A secondary bacterial infections bought in by the loach you can use ick x to treat the water column and kanaplex or maracyn in food to cover all bases that way you can keep doing your daily water changes and keep adding ick x he's some medicated food recipes

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Screenshot_20220510-014039~2.png

Edited by Colu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2022 at 10:41 AM, Colu said:

If could be. A secondary bacterial infections bought in by the loach you can use ick x to treat the water column and kanaplex or maracyn in food to cover all bases that way you can keep doing your daily water changes and keep adding ick x he some medicated food recipes

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Screenshot_20220510-014039~2.png

Got it thank you will do!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...