Hi All! 

The Java fern in my 5g has gotten *really* rough looking and is in desperate need of potassium. I have Seachem Potassium that I used to add to the tank when it was only a snail tank but I'm afraid to continue to add it to the tank with a bunch of shrimplets swimming around now. 

If it is safe, what should the dosing schedule be to slowly increase the potassium without a major adjustment? 

Does anyone use the Salifert potassium test kit? Is it worth buying? Is that the only way to know how much I'm increasing the potassium in ppm? Should I even go that far and buy the kit? 

Thank you so much for your help! 🌱

I use that Seachem Flourish potassium twice each week in a couple of tanks that have shrimp with no ill effects on shrimp that I can detect. If you use a pipette you can measure 1/2ml twice a week for 5 gallon tank. That is a low dose of about half the recommended amount.

• Thanks 1

I am using nothing except seachem potassium and dtpa iron to fertalize my tank with, so far so good! I read that its very hard to over dose on potassium. My going amount us 1ml per 10g daily. Im posting updates in my journal. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/10/2022 at 7:24 AM, JoeQ said:

I am using nothing except seachem potassium and dtpa iron to fertalize my tank with, so far so good! I read that its very hard to over dose on potassium. My going amount us 1ml per 10g daily. Im posting updates in my journal. 

Ok perfect! I'll start dosing small amounts and see if it helps. Thank you! 

• Like 1