Neon tetra...fungus? Tumor?

Lizzyduff

pH 5.5, nitrate 10, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, hard water,  buffer 0, quarantine hospital tank roughly 3 weeks now.  Short story: my blackwater tank exploded so I rescued the inhabitants and put them in the quarantine tank until the new tank i just bought is fully cycled. Noticed this fuzzy white dot on one tetra's face.  1 week of pimafix to no effect. 1 week of paracleanse to no effect. No behavior change in any inhabitants. Great Appetites and very active as usual. No new plants. No new fish etc. Had these guys for about a year.  Ideas?

20220508_121400.jpg

20220508_121410.jpg

Maracyn2 active ingredient minocycline is effective at sinking some types of lumps it's more effective when added to food I use 1 quarter of a packet of maracyn2 1 table spoon of pellets one scoop of seachems focus 1 cap of garlic guard a few drops of water mix well feed a small amount twice a day for 7 days store any leftover medicated food in the fridge

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately none of the meds worked 😕 it started to cover his mouth and he was having trouble eating, losing weight.  As I was looking at having to euthanize him anyway,  we tried a hail Mary,  anesthetized him with clove oil,  waited until he was swimming sideways, and did a bit of quick cosmetic surgery,  and put him into a wee recovery bowl with fresh water and an air stone.  Much to my surprise he perked right up,  got his colors back,  and has now rejoined his buddies after a few days of prophylactic antibiotics, and is gaining weight.  It might come back... but maybe we bought him a little time at least. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have several neons with the same affliction. I also happen to have kuhli loaches in the same tank. Is it safe to treat the neons, or do I need to separate them. I've read that kuhlis are sensitive to meds. 

On 6/16/2022 at 11:39 PM, Greg2 said:

I have several neons with the same affliction. I also happen to have kuhli loaches in the same tank. Is it safe to treat the neons, or do I need to separate them. I've read that kuhlis are sensitive to meds. 

What medication are you thinking of treating with 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:13 AM, Greg2 said:

was thinking a combo of matacyn and ichx

I don't think maracyn and ick x will have an effect if it has the same lumps as this fish it's possible your fish have neon tetra disease which their is no treatment you could try a course of kanaplex in food it a more broad spectrum antibiotic just in case something else is going on  feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days when it's added to food it more effective and it won't harm your loach

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png