How to get my Wendtii small again

So I’m guilty of being that crazy cat guy of fish keeping with plants. If I went to my LFS or petco I go right for the plants and buy what ever I’ve never grown and it got to the point my tanks were way over grown. so lately I’ve been trimming back the plants and selling what I don’t need anymore. The problem is one of my first plants (a red Wendtii is now super tall. Any chance of getting it back to the size of my green I got at the same time? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

EE4C99A9-6953-4521-9359-B89DA1891836.jpeg

Edited by lmhicks101

If it has baby plants from runners you can pull the large plant out and replant the runners. I did that here in a couple different tanks. The first picture is where I replaced the mother wendtii red with a runner. The second is a different tank with baby wendtii red and green together. Don't be afraid to pull the overgrown plants. It will look better with the babys, plus you get to watch them grow all over again.20220508_154416_HDR.jpg.34ac318383f6255490d675f60f85dbc3.jpg20220508_154547_HDR.jpg.244512161bd63e6193cedb74a40f5e86.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@JoeQ thank you and I’m working on trimming it down. If it doesn’t work to well I’m gonna do what @DaveO suggested. I’ve got 3 or 4 runners around it right now so fingers crossed. 

i just discovered the amazingness of selling my extra plants to the LFS. Had 2 pink flamingo runners and a crap ton of duck weed, Java ferns, scarlet temple, and Java moss they bought and gave credit for. Might see if they want this big Red Wenditi for a display tank. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 5/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, lmhicks101 said:

@JoeQ thank you and I’m working on trimming it down. If it doesn’t work to well I’m gonna do what @DaveO suggested. I’ve got 3 or 4 runners around it right now so fingers crossed. 

i just discovered the amazingness of selling my extra plants to the LFS. Had 2 pink flamingo runners and a crap ton of duck weed, Java ferns, scarlet temple, and Java moss they bought and gave credit for. Might see if they want this big Red Wenditi for a display tank. 

I only successfully stressed a crypt enough once to get a baby. IMO dividing them is much easier! 

Ps. If you are close by id buy or trade for a section!

That kind of growth is from adult plants. This is what you should expect from plants that have a mature root system and getting the required nutrients. Best thing to do (if you like the plant) to get it dwarfed again is to add another tank that makes the plant look smaller... Yay MTS! The other option is to replace it with another bronze like variety. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I wish I had your problems. 

You have a great looking tank. My first thought is to just prune off the taller leaves.  I like @Tihshho's idea of a second tank.  The Wendtii would make a great centerpiece in a smaller plant only tank.

Yeah I’m gonna keep her like she is. I’m redoing a lot of my plants in my tank and I’ll just work around it. I’ve gotten about 5 or 6 runners I found in the bushes around it. 

I put osmo root tabs in every 6 weeks and one goes in like 2 inches from it plus it was really crowded. Fingers crossed I can repeat this with my 2 new pink Flamingos. 

• Like 1

@JoeQ no Co2. I wanna try it eventually to get my parva to carpet.

I ended up just trimming 8 or 9 leaves of the big red. Only did the outside ones that were over shadowing other plants to get some light to the bottom. Didn’t touch any of the middle. 

Edited by lmhicks101

On 5/9/2022 at 12:33 PM, lmhicks101 said:

@JoeQ no Co2. I wanna try it eventually to get my parva to carpet.

I ended up just trimming 8 or 9 leaves of the big red. Only did the outside ones that were over shadowing other plants to get some light to the bottom. Didn’t touch any of the middle. 

Nice! Thats one of the things I love about the hobby; getting things to grow that people say need co2..... As for parva, I can't even get mine to root, but on the other hand my s. Repens is growing well, just slowly..

On 5/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, JoeQ said:

Nice! Thats one of the things I love about the hobby; getting things to grow that people say need co2..... As for parva, I can't even get mine to root, but on the other hand my s. Repens is growing well, just slowly..

Mine grows but really slow. The problem is for every new shoot I get my Kuhlis uproot 2. 

• Haha 1

What’s your substrate? I’m using HTH filter sand. It holds them good except for the digging. I moved them all to the front and trimmed everything down so hopefully that gives the loaches more places to explore and they leave the parva alone. I won’t know until I get back home Friday. I might try the staples if they keep it up. 

Edited by lmhicks101

On 5/9/2022 at 1:13 PM, lmhicks101 said:

What’s your substrate? I’m using HTH filter sand. It holds them good except for the digging. I moved them all to the front and trimmed everything down so hopefully that gives the loaches more places to explore and they leave the parva alone. I won’t know until I get back home Friday. I might try the staples if they keep it up. 

In my 36g i have eco complete which sucks to plant but is good on nutrients. My 10g Quarantine tank has seachem sand. Its great for planting plants but a little spendy plus the compaction issue..... I have a 15g waiting to be setup and there I plan to use Black Diamond blasting sand with a plenum which I hear will help that compaction issue. 

On 5/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, JoeQ said:

In my 36g i have eco complete which sucks to plant but is good on nutrients. My 10g Quarantine tank has seachem sand. Its great for planting plants but a little spendy plus the compaction issue..... I have a 15g waiting to be setup and there I plan to use Black Diamond blasting sand with a plenum which I hear will help that compaction issue. 

Try out be HTH filter sand substrate. It’s like $35 for a 50lbs bag at Ace and should be every where now that it’s pool season. Also it doesn’t compact. @Seattle_Aquarist I think suggested it and as you can tell my plants are doing great. He suggested 1 capsule of osmo pearls per 10 gallons every 6 weeks. Another thing I’ve been seeing online is it absorbs nutrients from waist that’s on top of it. 

On 5/9/2022 at 2:15 PM, lmhicks101 said:

Try out be HTH filter sand substrate. It’s like $35 for a 50lbs bag at Ace and should be every where now that it’s pool season. Also it doesn’t compact. @Seattle_Aquarist I think suggested it and as you can tell my plants are doing great. He suggested 1 capsule of osmo pearls per 10 gallons every 6 weeks. Another thing I’ve been seeing online is it absorbs nutrients from waist that’s on top of it. 

Pool filter sand it wayyyyyy too fine for my liking. Even seachem sand is boarderline too fine. The sand blasting sand if a medium grit and even better priced at about 10 bucks for 50 lbs

On 5/9/2022 at 3:41 AM, Tihshho said:

That kind of growth is from adult plants. This is what you should expect from plants that have a mature root system and getting the required nutrients. Best thing to do (if you like the plant) to get it dwarfed again is to add another tank that makes the plant look smaller... Yay MTS! The other option is to replace it with another bronze like variety. 

This^

I third the motion and encourage mts.