Live bearer question

Ken Burke

Can mollys delay birthing until conditions improve?

i have one Molly female in my big tank, but lost the male several months ago. I noticed yellow babies in the tank yesterday.  The color is right for my angels , and they did spawn in the tank a couple weeks ago.  But the shape is wrong for angels. BB674D61-CD9A-4725-B060-4EF029B7E5A8.jpeg.75121aaea5826b64251d3ebdf402ded3.jpeg71C2D7DB-6A58-49EC-A0E2-6EB88252AA8D.jpeg.ecb5964ff38db5c9cc5c6d99ee43908b.jpeg

On 5/8/2022 at 11:08 AM, Cinnebuns said:

The answer is "yes and." Yes they can, however it's more likely she stored sperm. They can store sperm for many months and for many pregnancies. 

I keep waiting to see if my female molly will ever have fry. I've had her since December and no fry yet, though she is a big Bertha of a girl. 

On 5/11/2022 at 10:44 PM, PineSong said:

I keep waiting to see if my female molly will ever have fry. I've had her since December and no fry yet, though she is a big Bertha of a girl. 

I'm fully convinced some of them don't want to be mothers and will forever abort. I have had one since Dec too. Every month she gets larger and larger than suddenly smaller. No matter what I do she always aborts. I rehomed her and kept in touch and she's still doing that same cycle. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:56 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm fully convinced some of them don't want to be mothers and will forever abort. I have had one since Dec too. Every month she gets larger and larger than suddenly smaller. No matter what I do she always aborts. I rehomed her and kept in touch and she's still doing that same cycle. 

Some are also much worse about eating fry.  I recently got into raising guppies.  Most of them do fine, but I got a male and three female albino koi guppies for the tank on my desk at work.  The owner at the LFS where I got them said that strain is terrible about eating fry, and I believe him.  I can see that the females occasionally are very pregnant, but I've never seen a single fry in that tank.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:09 PM, JettsPapa said:

Some are also much worse about eating fry.  I recently got into raising guppies.  Most of them do fine, but I got a male and three female albino koi guppies for the tank on my desk at work.  The owner at the LFS where I got them said that strain is terrible about eating fry, and I believe him.  I can see that the females occasionally are very pregnant, but I've never seen a single fry in that tank.

Yes. Albinos will eat ALL the fry if they are given the opportunity. Some people breeding multiple guppy strains have a special setup just for albinos

• Like 1