New (and Old) Species for Live Feed - Research & Experiments

On 2/19/2023 at 12:30 PM, modified lung said:

Anyway, I highly recommend using ammonium hydroxide and liquid PK fertilizer over both NPK fertilizer granules and nutrient media like Guillard's F/2. I haven't been able to get greenwater nearly as dark using NPK fertilizer granules and a small bottle of F/2 costs about the same but will give you far less bang for your buck.

That tank is screaming for some amano shrimp breeding.  Tub or something with the zoeys and then when you go to feed, dump in some greenwater.

Question, given the ammonia and other things in the tanks, would this be toxic for that scenario given your setup?  Is the ammonia testing out in the water or simply being converted to nitrates?  Is it being consumes quickly enough to not harm livestock?

On 2/19/2023 at 5:43 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Question, given the ammonia and other things in the tanks, would this be toxic for that scenario given your setup?  Is the ammonia testing out in the water or simply being converted to nitrates?  Is it being consumes quickly enough to not harm livestock?

Right now the greenwater is so thick I only have to add a little to my live feed cultures and the ammonia gets diluted to almost nothing. 

The ammonia does get consumed pretty fast in the culture itself but with greenwater this thick the pH is hard to keep at a reasonable level during the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 2:30 PM, modified lung said:

Anyway, I highly recommend using ammonium hydroxide and liquid PK fertilizer over both NPK fertilizer granules and nutrient media like Guillard's F/2. I haven't been able to get greenwater nearly as dark using NPK fertilizer granules and a small bottle of F/2 costs about the same but will give you far less bang for your buck.

Interesting!  I'm assuming this is a polyculture, correct?  I wonder if I should test this out with my phyto monocultures once I've got them up and running...  🤔

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

@modified lung This is a most excellent thread, and I have greatly enjoyed reading through it. As someone who only scrapes their Moina cultures along, this has been entertaining, insightful, and a delight to read. Thank you for all of your hard work and experimentation. I look forward to trying your fertilizer with wild green water cultures for future Moina feeds!

• Love 1