Profile of the Banana Plant - Wild Collecting Native Aquarium Plants

Daniel

Jealous! I just paid the Co-Op $4.99 for that plant last week. I did a quick search of that book and saw that it included Arkansas. I might have to look into buying a copy. Are you going to do anything in regards to quarantining or cleaning the plant before introducing it into your tank, or would the occurrence of any hitchhikers be a welcomed part of the historically accurate study? 

• Like 1

I am not much of a quarantiner with plants which means I often get hitchhikers. I get a few dragonfly larva sometimes and snails too. Generally I am as interested in all the little surprises as I am in the intended items. It is all biology to me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to come back to this thread earlier.  @Daniel, thank you, I was able to find them growing in the waters behind my sister's place.  I did not harvest anything, as I don't know what the laws are for this in our state.  Plus I kind of don't have a spot for any at the moment.  But you did give me a fun adventure to go on with my niece, so thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

Wish there was some cool native plants in Indiana waters that was aquarium safe

I bet there are cool native plants in Indiana waters. I’ll do some research and let you know if I find anything.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AtomCatMatt
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I bet there are cool native plants in Indiana waters. I’ll do some research and let you know if I find anything.

I would be excited to hear about any literature you come up with on the subject. I live in southern Indiana by Ohio river.@Wisnasky-tank what part you from?

We must not be far apart I can spit into Ohio from where I’m at Richmond Indiana

3 hours ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

Wish there was some cool native plants in Indiana waters that was aquarium safe

I live around Anderson, Indiana. There is a mass of hornwort in the nearby creek every year! Though I have never put it in my own aquariums since I already have a butt-ton that I throw away every few weeks. It sure explodes in growth if you let it

Edited by Alec2cool