On 5/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, hannah662parker said:

Thank you for this tidbit! I feel a lot better with what I'm going with for filtration to start off the tank at least. I'm sticking with my 2 big sponge filters and adding an AquaClear powerhead with their pre-filter. 

Last coat of the stain is done!!

image.jpeg.1bf956c2fba2563723d7b4224362e402.jpegimage.jpeg.40913ec29fbfdebb9f356ac4697bd871.jpeg

Now we let it dry, and he's bringing it over to my house Saturday and we're going to do the big set up process 😆 It could be all day event, I can't wait. 

This looks like a really nice setup, I look forward to seeing it come together. I just have one major concern.

With a 60 gallon tank on top that's 600 pounds. The side boards are more than strong enough up and down, but they could potentially allow the top to shift side to side. It could then collapse (like a cardboard box with both ends open) under the weight.

If the water were to shift, due to someone bumping it or whatever, that weight could carry a huge sideload along with the 600lbs download and it would just have to move a couple of inches to get the weight off the side boards. I don't think you could test this with 3 big guys on it since their weight can't really carry side to side like tank water can.

I suggest either 4 hefty corner gussets (2 at the top back minimum) made from 1/2 plywood or perhaps some short 2x4s with two 45 degree cuts that can be attached in the upper corners between the sides and top (like under a picnic table), or a full back panel. Like a cardboardbox with one end closed it becomes much more rigid.

I would just hate to see the worst happen and you lose both tanks.

Good luck.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:13 PM, Minanora said:

Here's @R Budds adventure in plenums.

Thanks for the mention. My tanks are all doing great. My 5.5G has to be my favorite. It's so overstocked (11 fish, 2 mystery snails, and at least 4 ghost shrimp) but they all get along and seem very healthy. The nitrates are zero and the plants are doing great, for me at least. 

The results are so great that I've been sharing it with anyone who will listen. I'm keeping a close eye on them waiting for something to creep in because they all seem too good to be true.

I did some minimal water changes just to feel a little better, but otherwise they've been very little maintenance. Scooping the duckweed 2 or 3 times a week is the main thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:14 PM, R Budds said:

This looks like a really nice setup, I look forward to seeing it come together. I just have one major concern.

With a 60 gallon tank on top that's 600 pounds. The side boards are more than strong enough up and down, but they could potentially allow the top to shift side to side. It could then collapse (like a cardboard box with both ends open) under the weight.

If the water were to shift, due to someone bumping it or whatever, that weight could carry a huge sideload along with the 600lbs download and it would just have to move a couple of inches to get the weight off the side boards. I don't think you could test this with 3 big guys on it since their weight can't really carry side to side like tank water can.

I suggest either 4 hefty corner gussets (2 at the top back minimum) made from 1/2 plywood or perhaps some short 2x4s with two 45 degree cuts that can be attached in the upper corners between the sides and top (like under a picnic table), or a full back panel. Like a cardboardbox with one end closed it becomes much more rigid.

Thank you so much for the advice and concern. I sent it to my dad to see what he thinks. 
Fortunately/unfortunately maybe, the tank is already all set up! We spent 5.5 hours straight doing to big move! It feels super stable and doesn’t want to budge. I’m pretty confident that it’s going to be okay and not go anywhere. It seems like the sides of the stand go in enough to where they’re directly under the tank and seem to be taking all it’s weight. 
Here is my setup before: 93C719D2-1633-48C1-BDC0-8A6B81DCDD77.jpeg.1b54b91d851a28dc15e8fe0aabaa43eb.jpeg

And here is it after:

65BA3057-4CA6-4CE2-9F91-5A3482895206.jpeg.a40e8d5a1ea1d18c67e679130734113f.jpeg

5CC0ACC2-BC44-44C1-BE03-91FECB04EF8A.jpeg.93a5b63887c4bfd4bfab41b74b10868b.jpeg

738FDD8A-D5A2-4090-A804-BEBEB4A94F61.jpeg.6fe7ffe5c6d0dde75bbf7a7e6b11f993.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

976EEDB7-9BAB-4F03-92D3-1983BE4FA789.jpeg.aa5f3250af24aea7580f3241f8475e04.jpegCF7FA343-9039-4F90-AB4F-ED514A25A2AD.jpeg.7a4424a3d24dda96ffa6820c536c721c.jpeg

here’s a video so you can really see everything!! The two goldfish are already best buds. The tank currently has 2 juvenile goldfish, 9 white cloud minnows, 6 glow zebra danios (I don’t really like glofish but these were the only danios they had and they’re super cute!), 4 nerite snails and 3 kuuli loaches!! I’m so excited to monitor this tank and eventually finish stocking it 🙂 I’ve also got to order a lid for it cause one of the white clouds already jumped out and dried up last night 😞 Almost all of the decor has been previously used and was switched over from the 20gal, and I’ve also got cycled sponge filters floating in there for now. Combined with bottled bacteria from Brightwell aquatics and using prime daily, I’m hoping for an easy cycle!! 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2022 at 9:24 AM, hannah662parker said:

Thank you so much for the advice and concern. I sent it to my dad to see what he thinks. 
Fortunately/unfortunately maybe, the tank is already all set up! We spent 5.5 hours straight doing to big move! It feels super stable and doesn’t want to budge. I’m pretty confident that it’s going to be okay and not go anywhere. It seems like the sides of the stand go in enough to where they’re directly under the tank and seem to be taking all it’s weight. 

Ok good. I have never had a tank that big and that much weight is scary, so I wouldn't have felt right if I didn't mention my concerns.

It looks great. 

• Love 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:11 AM, R Budds said:

Ok good. I have never had a tank that big and that much weight is scary, so I wouldn't have felt right if I didn't mention my concerns.

It looks great. 

There are also these supports on the underside of the stand which help a lot! 🙂 image.jpg.0722975327536b8b5075cc5d9668db37.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful setup and tell your dad he did a fantastic job on the stand! 

When I first set up my 46G 20 years ago I had two fancy goldfish and then added a bunch of other tank mates. The goldfish were super chill, but they will eat anything that fits in their mouth, especially as they get older/bigger, so be aware of that. I was in denial for years that my goldfish were eating my neons until I saw it happen. :classic_unsure: 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, AndreaW said:

Beautiful setup and tell your dad he did a fantastic job on the stand! 

When I first set up my 46G 20 years ago I had two fancy goldfish and then added a bunch of other tank mates. The goldfish were super chill, but they will eat anything that fits in their mouth, especially as they get older/bigger, so be aware of that. I was in denial for years that my goldfish were eating my neons until I saw it happen. :classic_unsure: 

Thank you! And I totally believe that. The golden, smaller goldfish is already a contender for this; I bought him because he was the largest in a batch of babies (and I got him for $15.99 at almost the same size as my calico for $39.99), and I wanted to get him because he's gorgeous but also to get him out of that tank because there were too many goldfish in there obviously not getting enough to eat, and he was munching on his buddies quite frequently. He's in love with my calico though, he seems much happier now that he's getting fed consistently. If they start to eat the minnows and danios I'll be content to just have the goldfish and kuhlis, but maybe I would then try rainbow shiners as I think they would be too big for them! The minnows and danios are way too quick for them right now thought so we will see 🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:24 PM, Tihshho said:

Are those spikes to keep cats off the lids?

Yes exactly!😂 I have glass lids and I think they could hold her weight but it makes me super nervous. I tried aluminum foil at first but she didn't care at all, so I had to order these plastic spikes that people use for their mulch! Not the prettiest but it's waaayy better than an accident. Luckily the top tank is now too tall for her to access

The culprit: charmy.jpg.e47538bbf3c1b1028af81d9f26abbdc6.jpg

• Thanks 1

I've been trying to find a solution for my cats on one tank. They cracked lids on a 29, but thankfully the lids for a 40B are thicker, so I'm hoping they don't crack those, but something to deter them might not be a bad idea.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:30 PM, Tihshho said:

I've been trying to find a solution for my cats on one tank. They cracked lids on a 29, but thankfully the lids for a 40B are thicker, so I'm hoping they don't crack those, but something to deter them might not be a bad idea.

My little lady is stubborn, and I had to cover every inch of the lid with the spikes or she just jumped around them. They also aren't the prettiest, but they really work and they are easy to remove for feedings and water changes 🙂 here are the exact ones I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3PV1DZ?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_ZJ1AAQ3M658ATPVQC80R

• Thanks 1

Almost a week of progress! Some sad news, only one little kuhli loach left out of the trio I bought. In hindsight, it was pretty arrogant of me to try to add these guys right away to a not-all-the-way cycled tank. If the last one survives, I'm not sure if I will return him to the LFS and buy a bunch more nerites, or try and get of school of them going. I'm also considering returning him and switching to Hillstream Loaches in the future. My metal mesh lid for the tank came in yesterday, and I spent a couple hours last night cutting the mesh and feeding the air tubing and wires through it. It was way harder than I thought but is worth it so nobody else jumps out of the tank! image.jpeg.838bc1de6579b702fd215023606f8fc0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:08 PM, Tihshho said:

Any reason you went with a screen lid over a glass lid? 

I'm honestly not sure why I did and regret it a little because of what a pain in the behind it was the cut and thread everything through. I just remember how hard it was to find glass lids that fit correctly for my 33gal, and I was nervous trying to find lids for this tank that would fit since I bought it used and was unsure of what brand it was. Cost was also a factor, because this screen lid was only $35, which is probably half the cost of what 2 glass lids for each side would be. All of my other tanks have been low-flow with sponge filters because they were betta community tanks, so I have also been looking forward to hearing all the bubbles and mini-waves in this one. I also wanted to put duckweed in this tank, which I could never keep alive in my others because the water pushed right up against the glass lid and the duckweed couldn't get any air. Same goes for any floating plants I've ever tried to keep, so I'm hoping I can successfully keep some in this tank! As I type this out, I'm realizing there are actually many reasons!! 😂

Concerning update this morning, the light didn't want to turn on for me this morning. The right side was quite wet from the powerhead and air stone bubbles that accumulate and splash on the right side. The light flashed and then turned right off when I flipped the switch this morning. I took the light off the top of the tank to hopefully dry off while I'm at work today, and am going to try it again when I get home. Does the light need to stay dry? Is it getting wet causing this issue? Super nervous as it's a great light and I'm not sure I have the funds for a replacement 😞 

If it's not ruined, I'm thinking I might hang it from the ceiling from fishing line. I think if it's not already I think it will eventually short circuit from getting wet. 

Edited by Hannah Parker

Electronics usually don't like water, the light will want to stay dry. You can check out using "Polycarbonate Clear Multiwall Roof Panel" for tops. I have done this to keep fish from jumping, water in, and other things out. You should be able to find it at a box chain hardware store.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, Dancing Matt said:

Electronics usually don't like water, the light will want to stay dry. You can check out using "Polycarbonate Clear Multiwall Roof Panel" for tops. I have done this to keep fish from jumping, water in, and other things out. You should be able to find it at a box chain hardware store.

Thank you! I will most likely try and suspend it from the ceiling since I just bought and modified my mesh top. Or if the current light is fried I will just buy a waterproof one. 

Edit: decided to buy a waterproof light anyways because after mulling it over, hanging the light from the ceiling would be too hard. Got 2 18.5 in lights coming in this Sunday!image.png.b855faf0adb3e9bc689ca7d92b05f5bd.png

Edited by Hannah Parker

Bought 3 adorable longfin zebra danios last night, and with the space they take up I think I am capping the schooling fish with what I have now, at 8 white cloud minnows and 8 zebra danios. I would eventually like to add 4-6 reticulated hillstream loaches, and one more goldfish, but am concerned about the bioload still. I will do some water testing after my next water change and see. 

Third and final goldfish of the trio! Beautiful little black moor. He has some growing and catching up to do in the next couple months, but I'm hoping he will perk up. He spends at least 50% of his time laying on the substrate, not sure if he doesn't feel well or this is just what he likes to do. Time will tell. 0?ui=2&ik=9cf9c00ad1&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r1037454147121998686&th=1811abd3e86b4b2f&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9_0LjYS07655CbvsFJN7r5_E69P5zZglxp7e2r0v00hQG4FldUOy2AaRnSSX_YwsgDwQK6DqOaOnDhGOOM7huwggreUOsAXlVfdN5P2XWVVyDglRjJO16vN1Q&disp=emb&realattid=1811abd17ac388b306020?ui=2&ik=9cf9c00ad1&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r1037454147121998686&th=1811abd3e86b4b2f&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-0zNGMPCmoMVvdOe2w-7Vs5-V3hPMBXyWVW4snCpu8X86J3PMg46RlL9me9nqBln7E94QeUCcTlP8jaxGEYBkTSy4vDMDhKY5XlYIVkRZF6XyLckFUmzcPuGs&disp=emb&realattid=1811abcfbf6cddf7a621