Sparkling gourami for a 10 gallon tank

Dandroid

Hi all,

I wanted to know if I could add sparkling gourami to my planted 10 gallon tank? It is currently stocked with 11 chili rasbora and 10 cherry shrimp.  Would adding sparkling gourami be too much bioload?   The filter is a quiet flow 10.20220409_201329.jpg.780a9bff5064e7b01c7cc8d08f5456ad.jpg

• Like 1

I would be less concerned about bioload and more concerned about aggression with sparkling gouramis and would personally advise just the one. Your shrimp also may not be safe unless the tank is heavily planted.

When I had my pair in a 10 (no other fish) they were constantly either breeding or fighting until I separated them. Shrimp (even if they were larger than the fish's mouth) were fair game for the fish to eat as soon as they were soft from molting. These guys are micropredators and one of my favorite fish but much happier with more territory per fish.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 1:54 PM, Dandroid said:

Thanks for the response.  About how many would be appropriate for the size of the tank?

I would agree with @ange since they can get territorial, one would be best for a 10gallon. You might be able to do a pair of honey gouramis in a 10, they're pretty nice.