Snails and cuttlebone feeding

Bettagirl

I was wondering, is it ok to remove my snails (nerite and Malaysian trumpet snail) to allow them to feed on a piece of cuttlebone, instead of putting it in my tank? I have them and one betta. My ph is normally 7.5, I don't want to risk changing my water parameters too much for my betta, so I was thinking of taking the snails out to let them feed for a while on the cuttlebone, then put them back in the tank. Suggestions? and would that be ok?

It won't change your PH or almost all of your other parameters. The only one it will effect is your GH (water hardness).  On top of that, they will only occasionally graze on the cuttlebone and don't eat it very often. The main benefit of cuttlebone is to put calcium into the water.  Snails need calcium in their diet and in the water. For this reason you really should put it in. If you are concerned or curious about your GH you can get a test kit for it. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

I like zoomed nano banquet blocks with spirulina from ACO (also available elsewhere if you reside outside of the states) It never made a noticeable impact on my betta tank water and my snails love them. ACO did a video on them.  I like that they get spirulina and calcium from them.  My snails ignored the cuttlebone even after it sank.  Removing them to feed is like removing a fish to feed and is stressful to them.  There is a good chance they will not feed while stressed and it will cause lines and ridges in their shell from shifting water chemistry constantly.  In a small container the chemistry will be affected and quicker. Also feeding steamed veggies high in nutrients is great for your snails and your betta may snack as well.  My betta loved blanched kale. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Typo