Toxic mistake

Patrick_G

We went out of town from Thursday afternoon to Monday evening. Our 18 year old daughter was charged with feeding all the tanks once on Saturday. She decided to add a ton of fry food , some flake and an entire cube of blood worms to my wife’s 8 gal Betta and African frog tank. 
We came home to a tank covered with rotting food a dead Nerite (stinky) and these parameters! 
BEDE9FC2-0463-4DAE-845C-C0F726C0352D.jpeg.a78cd680614cb568311854762471ec26.jpeg

I did an 80% water change,  added 5ml of prime and serviced the filter pump to increase flow. It’s still showing some nitrite but it’s has a lot of bio filter surface area so I think it’ll clear up soon. 
A25E5902-4EB9-4CF8-87EF-4317C2CFA6A5.jpeg.d8e9e7a904c04c255fed1fcb792093da.jpeg

• Sad 7

fish are ok?  Wow, so sorry.

I raised African cichlids for many years.  I alway think to myself female African cichlids will go 3-4 weeks and not eat.  
if the fish are healthy, I will leave them for a weekend all the time.  Of course this changes if spawning or have fry and if you have a delicate fish.  

• Like 1

I am so sorry.....

How are you and the wife doing? 

How is your daughter doing with the guilt factor of an animal died under her care? 

I hope the frog and betta make full recovery, despite the toxic mistake, and you don't deal with any health repercussions down the line....

Not a fun smell to come home to.😢 I had this learning experience once, it pushed me harder into planted tanks that are prestocked with microfauna and flora, so fish/shrimp can be a little hungry when I get home, but tanks are overall stable even if I am gone for 2-3 weeks.

Sorry for the loss of your nerite.

• Like 1

I am so sorry  about your snail and tank ,,,  feel bad for your daughter I donnot feed ny fish every day but feed them every other day so if i go out of town for a few days i feed before  leaving  and feed them when i get home and the are fine for a few days  ,,  But if i a gone for longer  I measure out the food  for how many days and label them days of week on the bag   (usually dry food  and algae wafer in sandwich baggies ) and write directions down on paper i even cut up zucchini iin the fridge  and tell no more then 1 piece  1 time per week on the vegetable ,, I even  do the same and measure my dog food   and treats for my dachshund  out to be sure  they get the right amount and make easier on the pet babysitter 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

The Betta, the frogs and the Otocinclus are doing fine as far as I can tell. Another 70% water change brought the nitrite levels down to almost zero. 
The kiddo has learned that when it comes to pet care she needs to follow directions carefully. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2