Tank mates for Multies?

James V.

I’m moving my little colony of Multies (Neolamprologus multifasciatus) from a 20L gallon to a 40B and I was thinking of having some other fish in there with them.

I just want something that will do ok in there and will add some movement to the tank. Do any of you have suggestions? There will be some water lettuce in the tank so whatever I get will have a little bit of cover.

I was thinking a school of rummynose tetras? But I don’t know how they would do with Multies 

Edited by James V.

African cichlids usually have a fairly high pH requirement, compared to South American fish. I've only kept African cichlids once. They were so territorial that it wasn't enjoyable for me, so I sold them. From what I recall, cyprichromis or julidochromis would be okay, but you'd probably get better information from google than I could provide about African cichlids.
Good luck! 

Edited by Tazalanche

ACO does mention some options for tankmates in their guide for shell dwellers https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/shell-dwellers

" For a 29-gallon tank, we have kept them with African butterflyfish, livebearers, halfbeaks, and smaller rainbowfish. For a 55- to 60-gallon aquarium, we like adding Cyprichromis leptosoma (sardine cichlids), Neolamprologus brichardi (lyretail fairy cichlids), and rock-dwelling Julidochromis cichlids."

I feel like guppies or endlers would get shredded by the multis, but maybe some of the larger livebearers would work out.

• Like 1

Cyprichromis leptosoma are a nice option as they stay close to the surface, opposite of the multies. They even breed up top as well, pretty cool. It is considered somewhat of a classic combo, multies and cyprichromis. The cyps are easy to care for but they don't ship well so if you order them from a considerable distance I would recommend ordering a few extra just in case.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:58 AM, Kristinn said:

Cyprichromis leptosoma are a nice option as they stay close to the surface, opposite of the multies. They even breed up top as well, pretty cool. It is considered somewhat of a classic combo, multies and cyprichromis. The cyps are easy to care for but they don't ship well so if you order them from a considerable distance I would recommend ordering a few extra just in case.

Wow those fish are so pretty! I’ve never heard of them before. I’m going to do some research thank you!

have you ever kept them? Is there anything I should know about them?

(edit) one question I have is how many do you think I could get in a 40B tank?

Edited by James V.
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 2:18 AM, James V. said:

Wow those fish are so pretty! I’ve never heard of them before. I’m going to do some research thank you!

have you ever kept them? Is there anything I should know about them?

(edit) one question I have is how many do you think I could get in a 40B tank?

Yes I have kept this combo in a 50gal. I started with 10 multies of various sizes and 8 juvinile cyps. Both species should breed no problem. Unfortunately I had a medication disaster and all died before this tank got to be the way I wanted it. The cyps had not fully colored up and had just started showing breeding behaviour when they all died.

You could start with a handful of each species in my opinion. The cyps are a bit large and boisterous for a 40gal so don't start with too many. Also because of how bad they ship, they can be quite expensive so keep that in mind. Last but not least about the cyps, their breeding is pretty cool. They spawn up top and turn around quickly to grab the eggs mid-water, they are mouthbrooders and their fry are very large when they hatch.

I wish you luck with your tank, I will definitely be trying this combo again myself later because I really want to see this setup mature and reach its full potential.

• Thanks 1