So what are your new breeding projects?

Tedrock

So I'm definitely more of a noob, I mean ik a lot mainly just bc I've probably watched hundreds of hours of youtube videos and seen the majority of the live streams lol, and just the coops videos in general, plus many other channels, but I'm currently breeding white clouds and planning on getting bloody mary cherry shrimp and breeding those and I'm trying guppies again, but everytime I get them they die within a week and it's been frustrating, usually from a fungal infection from the pet store, and I've bought from two local fish stores and petsmart and same problem at all so I'm planning on getting a colony going and then subjecting them to fungal infections and ich and not medicating and making a stronger fish and selling to lfs. I'm also looking forward to setting up a 40 breeder and getting multis and having a nice colony of them going 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tedrock said:

So what breeding project are you juiced to start?  I am really looking forward to breeding the orange rice fish I just got.  They were pricey but if I am successful I will be able to recoup the price.  Come on share your story.

B466D976-FC8C-44DD-9E62-36B881DF97D5.jpeg

Also I really like those fish and I plan in the future to get some orange rice fish, but it's a future project

I am waiting for some German Breeding rings to come in to use with Praecox Rainbow eggs. I have a 5 gallon with Rainbow fry now and pulled another 100+ eggs the last couple of days. Setting up a 20H for the GBRs and new eggs this weekend and the rings should be in early next week. I'm excited to try them out!

No pictures of the above yet, but here's a photo of my Staeck Endler fry jungle. 

20201015_202924.jpg.04a68b1d66271c69b78145c7f8e376b2.jpg

• Like 1

I'm starting up a pond breeding project here in the Aussie summer of Native glass shrimp. Peacock gudgeons and Red neon blue eyes. 

I can't wait to get my tank (picking up next week) and get it going ! I may even post a blog on it here on how it goes and what it takes and my successes/failures.

• Like 2

I inherited a group of sterbai cory cats from a friend's father a year ago. I just started trying to get them to breed. I pulled around 16 eggs the other day. Any other eggs I've pulled were infertile. Hopefully this time around they are fertile and I get some fry out of them. Time will tell.

PXL_20201016_000252853.jpg

PXL_20201016_005641996.jpg

This is my first time trying to breed fish outside of 'Hey! wow! look! there's another little corydora in the tank!" I started with 2 salt-n-peppers 2 years ago and increased the school to about 2 dozen in that time (well they increased themselves. I didn't really do enough to take credit for). 

Ok, so as far as intentional breeding projects, these are the ones I've started within the last month --

Apisto super reds. I've had this pair about 1 1/2 weeks and they've already spawned. They've been at each other's throats pretty nasty since then, but I've partitioned the tank with a barrier of driftwood and java fern and they're each keeping to their respective sides. Can't get a good count of how many fry are in there, as they hang back in the shadows and blend in with the substrate. 12? 20? more? Hard to say.

IMG_6030.jpg.1ea830bc540640204d618e41255db2ef.jpg

IMG_6031.jpg.9a1bc9e9008aec68555130ba83f46228.jpg

Odessa Barbs -- i got ten of these from Select Aquatics about a month ago and have been growing them out. It will be a little while before I can completely sex them all and separate them before breeding. They're just starting to show some colors this past week.

IMG_6034.jpg.0b4b2909ffb5bab54b7715066f662086.jpg

Shelies -- Always wanted to raise a colony of these fish since seeing them on Prime Time Aquatics. I got 6, but they are all still quite young and have some growing to do.

IMG_6039.jpg.c7b518c04f2ef28471bef2227963fdec.jpg

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

I've been breeding up my CPDs. I just put the breeding pair back in the community tank this weekend. I have about 35 fry growing out.  I am also trying to get two sets of endlers to breed, one set just had fry last week, I was able to save 9 fry before they were all eaten. I pulled 3 dwarf corydora eggs last week and one hatched today. The other two didn't make it. I hope to get more eggs of those.

Projects I am working on:

• Figuring out my sciaenochromis fryeri white knight fertility issues, only getting about 25% of eggs to hatch. 
  • Trying to get a better method for spawning my syno luccipinnis, would like higher yield.
  • Integrating my albino paracyp into my remaining regular females - had a illness decimate my original colony. 
  • Playing musical tanks to get some of the groups I have been growing out into better spawning situations. 
  • Figure out the best method for raising the recent BN and corydoras fry, relatively new to spawning these types of catfish. 

Right now my breeding consists mutt guppies, bristlenose plecos, and cherry barbs.  All things that pretty much take care of themselves.  As far as fish I want to breed (and I'll start working through the list once the new fish room is set up)...

• German Blue Rams
  • Nicer Guppy Lines
  • Shrimp
  • Rainbows
  • Corydoras
  • Apistos
  • Bettas
  • More Pleco Varieties
  • Etc.

Time will tell which ones actually make it into the fish room, but I'm looking forward to it.

Best of luck!