Small external filter solution for micro-tank

Guppy Guy

Hi all! I am working on a micro aquarium that will be about 1 gallon when it is complete, but I need some sort of external filter solution that will fit under the tank. I am trying to recreate this gumball machine aquarium, but safer for the fish. After looking at that link, I’m sure most of you will agree with me that the tank is too small for a goldfish and weekly water changes. That is why I want to put a guppy or 2 in it, but I still need more volume to do that. 

Does anyone know of a small filter that fits under the tank, and adds water volume to the overall system? Thanks!

P.S. I know the consequences of overstocking such a small tank, and I am vary aware of the limits this has. Please do not warn me about this, but I am ok with your other opinions.

This is overkill filtration but adds tons of volume. Fluval 107 canister is entirely adjustable flow that can be as little as a trickle. I use it in my 10 gallon guppy grow out. This would add considerable volume in relation to the one gallon tank. The basket is 1.2 liters plus what’s in the hose.  You may need to modify the outflow and intake  to a smaller one but can further baffle it with a sponge zip tied on. If you want I can take a quick video of how low I can make the outflow. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Added info

I didn’t think of that. I actually use a 307 on my 30 gallon, and it is by far my favorite filter. The only issue with that is it is a little pricey, and the tubes might look ugly behind the tank. Is there something that is a hint smaller that I can mount under the tank, or maybe have an overflow setup? I am not scared of drilling the tank.

Edited by Guppy Guy

Does it need to be under the tank?  You could DIY a above the tank sump.  Get a 01. small pump (from Aquarium Co Op). 02. A small planter.  Those rectangular ones.  03.  Whatever filter floss you like. 04.  Maybe a pothos plant.  13784E15-7FA1-49DD-B0FE-27A9380D4526.jpeg.0a1d11b6e1a74223086aedf682ed1a32.jpeg

• Love 1

On 5/2/2022 at 6:30 AM, Guppy Guy said:

Hi all! I am working on a micro aquarium that will be about 1 gallon when it is complete, but I need some sort of external filter solution that will fit under the tank. I am trying to recreate this gumball machine aquarium, but safer for the fish. After looking at that link, I’m sure most of you will agree with me that the tank is too small for a goldfish and weekly water changes. That is why I want to put a guppy or 2 in it, but I still need more volume to do that. 

There is something called a "hang on canister filter" that's pretty popular in the EU regions.  That might be exactly what you need.  All Pond Solutions has them and they are in the US under a different brand.  PondGuru on youtube covers a lot of these too if you want to see them fully disassembled and ideas to mod them.  You should be able to literally take that and just move it into the stand (add tubing, basically).

Another method you can do is to run a "canister filter booster" and then feed that into the stand with a submersible pump in a small tank with your heater in that smaller tank (the booster does all of your real work, it's just full of sponge, then you have a nano/micro sump basically to do anything you need.  This also gives you the higher water volume boost.

This gives you an idea for the hang-on canisters.

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Aquarium-Canister-Filter-External/dp/B00UZG8B2I

Also

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-External-Canister-Gallons/dp/B005DGHRU2/ref=pd_vtp_sccl_2_2/138-0243382-2562614?pd_rd_w=yOeZC&pf_rd_p=fbd780d7-2160-4d39-bb8e-6a364d83fb2c&pf_rd_r=MVV0SE5KC9KDSR7XDJ2Q&pd_rd_r=508b32e5-522e-4a98-8228-689ac5f762b9&pd_rd_wg=JaRZh&pd_rd_i=B005DGHRU2&psc=1

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 5/2/2022 at 5:05 PM, Guppy Guy said:

I think I will make a small canister filter to go under the tank. Remember that I am putting a moderately sized fish bowl for the top of the gumball machine, so HOBs and OSs won’t work. 

yep.  You would have to mod the hang on style stuff. but most of the "hang on canisters" are going to allow you to use tubing or provide low enough power for a nano type setup.  Most traditional canisters might not allow you to adjust the flow low enough. Depends what you can find.

Best of luck in your search. Hopefully that helps.

Since you are open to DIY, check out SerpaDesign on YT - he did a functioning waterfall paladarium with a plastic magazine holder recently! He did another tiny one that was probably about the same volume for a scape from scrap project that might give you some ideas. He even did one that would fit in your hand with a functioning filter (it had snails only, but amazing nonetheless. Amazing what you can do with a simple little water pump like those in pet water fountains.

My lemonade jar has done so well that I've been tempted to put some endler fry in it - it's almost 2 gallons, no tech. It's keeping a handful of snails and all the plants happy at least.

I hope you share your progress, sounds fun!

On 5/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

yep.  You would have to mod the hang on style stuff. but most of the "hang on canisters" are going to allow you to use tubing or provide low enough power for a nano type setup.  Most traditional canisters might not allow you to adjust the flow low enough. Depends what you can find.

I agree completely. I will most likely make a small canister and mount it under the tank.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:34 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Since you are open to DIY, check out SerpaDesign on YT

My first sub was aquarium co op, and serpa design was next! 🙃 

Since you’re handy, you might consider running an entire aquarium next to your gumball tank and connecting them with inconspicuous hoses.  Grow a training house plant to set between the tanks to cover hoses and they would be practically invisible.  All your filter stuff would be in, attached to, the more conventional tank and treat the gumball tank almost like a sump or refugium depending on how tall the conventional tank and gumball tank are to each other.  Just have a pump in it or under it with a gravity overflow from the end or back drilled conventional tank.  This would give you the benefit of a MUCH larger water volume and remove most of the difficulties of adapting filters to your round bowl.  You could even put the gumball tank on a shelf above the conventional tank and run the tubing through the bottom and through the shelf to the conventional tank as a giant “sump”.  Grow some pothos or peace lily out of the top of the “sump” tank to hide the tubing and you’ve got the most sleeper gumball tank ever.

It’s also very easy to make (or buy) an undergravel filter for a bowl to add a touch extra filtration and aeration.  They make UGF’s for 1 gallon bowls so depending on the top opening of your gumball bowl, it might fit with no mods.  Lee’s 1 gallon bowl filter is 4.4” wide and has just a little bit of flex so could be shimmied into an opening about 4.25” wide.  It might break if you tried getting it through a 4” hole without mods.  It’s fairly brittle plastic but could be ground down on the sides to fit smaller.  You’d just have to be able to reach into the bowl to attach the lift tube after inserting the filter plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 11:08 AM, Odd Duck said:

Since you’re handy, you might consider running an entire aquarium next to your gumball tank and connecting them with inconspicuous hoses.  Grow a training house plant to set between the tanks to cover hoses and they would be practically invisible.  All your filter stuff would be in, attached to, the more conventional tank and treat the gumball tank almost like a sump or refugium depending on how tall the conventional tank and gumball tank are to each other.  Just have a pump in it or under it with a gravity overflow from the end or back drilled conventional tank.  This would give you the benefit of a MUCH larger water volume and remove most of the difficulties of adapting filters to your round bowl.  You could even put the gumball tank on a shelf above the conventional tank and run the tubing through the bottom and through the shelf to the conventional tank as a giant “sump”.  Grow some pothos or peace lily out of the top of the “sump” tank to hide the tubing and you’ve got the most sleeper gumball tank ever.

It’s also very easy to make (or buy) an undergravel filter for a bowl to add a touch extra filtration and aeration.  They make UGF’s for 1 gallon bowls so depending on the top opening of your gumball bowl, it might fit with no mods.  Lee’s 1 gallon bowl filter is 4.4” wide and has just a little bit of flex so could be shimmied into an opening about 4.25” wide.  It might break if you tried getting it through a 4” hole without mods.  It’s fairly brittle plastic but could be ground down on the sides to fit smaller.  You’d just have to be able to reach into the bowl to attach the lift tube after inserting the filter plate.

That is a good idea. I will definitely come back to that. I was actually considering making a custom 3D printed UGF that also serves as an input to the canister.

While we’re at it, does anyone know where I can find a 2 gallon fish bowl? 1 gallon is just too small, and torture for the fish. I found one on amazon, but I am not paying $30 for a plastic bowl. Petsmart and petco only have one gallons, and my LFS is like me and doesn’t like them for regular use, so they don’t carry them.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

So of all places, pet supplies plus had a 1.5 gallon fish bowl, which is big enough for the gumball machine. Plus, its plastic so it will be easy to drill for the filter. Thanks all, and I will link to a new thread when I start building it.

Edited by Guppy Guy