The difference between dechlorinators

Jeff

I went to straight Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate, it's super cheap and works!

I had Prime but the smell is horrible. They all do the same thing- dechlore. I don't buy into the BS those companies say about their "special" dechlores though so there's that. To be honest I don't want whatever is in those bottles besides the dechlore in my tank, even if they bound up ammonia or whatever. No matter what they say. I only want water and as few of any chemicals as possible. 

• Administrators

I'd say for the average person, most dechlorinators will be equal. Some things to look out for would be to make sure if you have chloramine, that it'll treat that as well as just the standard chlorine. Outside of that it comes down to price and a few "benefits". I don't think most people need the benefits provided by different ones most of the time.

The good news is, for the most part, this is one area of the hobby where when you read the package, they basically do that. So if you needed some more kH, you could use hikari ultimate, if you needed aloe for a wounded fish, you could use Stress Coat. If you needed to get rid of some heavy metals you could use Prime etc. I myself use Fritz because I like the pump head we put on the 8oz bottle, and I like people that work at the company I've met. For many years before that I used Prime. But I've also used others as well. If you can find a good deal on any particular one. I'd buy that when I needed it.

i dont think it amounts to much of a difference. if it works for you, it works. im a long time stress coat user, and have used the fritz. they both get the job done, but due to long term use, and the fact it doesnt stink ive stayed with stress coat.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, Cory said:

etc. I myself use Fritz because I like the pump head we put on the 8oz bottle

I’ve recently switched from Prime to Fritz. I love the pump head! Makes life so much easier when adding to multiple tanks. 

Since you mentioned Seachem Prime, I'll mention what I use. A little over a decade ago, we had a few dozen aquariums running at the same time (ranging from 15-135 gallons each), so we were looking for ways to cut costs, while not putting our discus, or breeding pairs of other fish, at risk. We swapped from Seachem Prime to Seachem Safe & have been using it ever since. It's basically the powdered version of Seachem Prime, except it doesn't detoxify heavy metals. Since we have planted tanks that will take advantage of some of those heavy metals, that made Seachem Safe "the best bang for the buck", for our situation... plus we're not paying to ship the liquids. Now that we're down to only a 135 & a 55, we still use Safe, but the kilo we bought will last us for years.

I'm not saying this is your best option. It's just what worked for us. If what you are currently using works for you, keep using it. 

Edited by Tazalanche