New Aquarium Plant Cycle

ChemBob

I am cycling a new 40 gallon breeder using the plant in method per the Co-op YouTube videos. Cory said that we needed to get up to 20ppm Nitrates to keep the plants healthy. It took me 16 pumps or 4 pumps per 10 gallon to get to that level. Is this a normal amount of fertilizer to add when starting? Any concern with overloading some of the micronutrients? Or is this just the initial boost of fertilizer needed when starting up, and the 1 pump per 10 gallons will maintain after that? And more plants are arriving from the Co-op today, but here is my tank currently. Been running about 2 weeks so far. Got the nitrates up after listening to more streams on the app. I've been dosing the normal amount until now. 

20201017_173557.jpg

Note: I do not use the aquarium coop ferts as I'm not from the states, so I might be wrong here. Also I do normally not use this method.

Yes thats normal. What is happening is correct and expected, your plants consume the nitrates which will lower the level of nitrates, which isn't a bad thing per se. Are you seeing new growth since you've planted? I see there is some diatom algea on the gravel and some algea on the walls, which is a good sign. 

Put in the plants, keep it going for another week or two, get the plants and algea growing and then I think you're good to start introducing fish, just take it slow.