Cause of pond fish acting scared?

CalmedByFish

Hi guys. I'm trying ponds outside for the first time. One has endlers, one has platies. In both, the fish are clearly scared. Both ponds are about 1/4 covered, and the fish only come out for food.  I just saw a shadow of a distant bird go over both ponds, and all the fish darted back to cover. 

I thought they just needed to get used to the new environment, but it's been 5 weeks for the endlers, and 2 weeks for the platies. If anything, they've become more skiddish. They've switched from swimming to darting. Some of the platies have even become pale, though all the fish otherwise appear healthy. There's no evidence of wild animals.

Parameters are the same that they had indoors. Changes I know of are: Size and shape of containers (bigger), indirect sunlight instead of electric light, temp swings from 68-80, feeding once per day instead of twice (bugs and algae are in the water). 

What could be going on?

You also have natural predators that have probably come to visit already (i.e. bird). Shadows don't help them either- in my TANKS indoors if I walk between certain lights and the tanks they scatter. All the things you mentioned is a lot for them to take in at one time so honestly I'm not surprised with their stress- it may just take time before they settle in. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2