Beginner aquarium - What do you guys think?

pehcao

Hey guys,

I recently set my eye on starting the aquarium hobby, the panemic has us all indoors and limiting our activities so I thought it would be a great hobby both because it's 100% indoors and it can be a challenging and cool hobby. So I did a little digging, went to my local petstore and I came up with a beginner's aquarium idea and I'd like to see what you guys think about it:

So my idea is to basically get a 16 gallon aquarium, and startup with the following fish:

6 Rasboras,   8 Zebras,    3 bolivian rams,   3 kuli loaches,    2 chinese algae eaters,   and a single angel fish.

I'm also thinking about getting a couple of live plants to go with it, and knowing some beginner friendly plants would be great as well.

Do you guys feel this idea is adequate? Or what would be some improvements I could make to the plan before I actually go ahead and buy it.

Thank you.

Overstocked, don't do it. Please research the minimum tank size for each species and the recommended school size. Also make sure your tank is fully cycled before you start off or you'll just kill everything within a couple days.

WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Are you getting started with your first fish tank? Then you may have heard of something called the “aquarium nitrogen cycle,” followed by a bunch of complicated scientific terms and graphs that seem a little overwhelming. No...

WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Have you ever seen a fish in the wild living in pure, crystal clear water with no other contaminants? Probably not. That’s because life doesn’t flourish in “pristine” conditions, but rather when there’s a whole ecosystem of...

Beginner plants:

WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Planted aquariums are very popular nowadays because of their natural beauty and amazing ability to consume toxic waste compounds. However, many beginners have trouble keeping their green foliage from turning...

• Like 1

I would suggest to start with buying a water test kit and getting to know your water first. Is it soft or hard? What pH does it have? Are there nitrites, nitrates or ammonia present in your water? Your water might be great for some species and not so good for others. Then proceed slowly with plants and the hardiest fishes like zebra danios. If they are doing great and there are no issues with your tank for some reasonable length of time (say, couple of months at least) - only then try adding other species. 

On 10/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, pehcao said:

Hey guys,

I recently set my eye on starting the aquarium hobby, the panemic has us all indoors and limiting our activities so I thought it would be a great hobby both because it's 100% indoors and it can be a challenging and cool hobby. So I did a little digging, went to my local petstore and I came up with a beginner's aquarium idea and I'd like to see what you guys think about it:

So my idea is to basically get a 16 gallon aquarium, and startup with the following fish:

6 Rasboras,   8 Zebras,    3 bolivian rams,   3 kuli loaches,    2 chinese algae eaters,   and a single angel fish.

I'm also thinking about getting a couple of live plants to go with it, and knowing some beginner friendly plants would be great as well.

Do you guys feel this idea is adequate? Or what would be some improvements I could make to the plan before I actually go ahead and buy it.

Thank you.

The plan seemed ok up until the Chinese Algae Eaters and Angel fish that definitely will not work in that tank I would also probably just stick to 1 Bolivian Ram other than that the rest seems fine to me. Also as stated make sure to get a water test kit and don't add all the fish at once add them over time and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby!  Great to see you're doing your homework before you get started.  As others have said, the stocking list you have is too much for the tank.  Looks like you're understanding of that, so you're off to a great start.  Also be aware that Chinese algae eaters grow larger and can be jerks.  You'd be better off with siamese algae eaters, flying foxs, otocinclus or a bristlenose pleco.  You'll find in this community a wealth of information.  Look forward to interacting with you and seeing what you come up with!

• 2 months later...