Aquarium Co-Op 100 Watt Heater

Cory

On 7/4/2022 at 12:13 AM, GoYankees10 said:

After using these heaters for a few months I have 1 thing I think could improve.  The suction cups are not good. Can 2.0 get magnets holding this on? 

I’m having the same issue. Cleaned the glass free of whatever and wiped down the suction cups. Still comes off the glass. Any ideas?

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 7:52 PM, jasper5150 said:

I’m having the same issue. Cleaned the glass free of whatever and wiped down the suction cups. Still comes off the glass. Any ideas?

I’ve been having the same issues with the heater coming off the glass every two days. I hope Cory sees this and responds.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:52 PM, jasper5150 said:

On 7/9/2022 at 1:49 PM, Dnogator said:

I’ve been having the same issues with the heater coming off the glass every two days. I hope Cory sees this and responds.

Recommend contacting ACO directly.  If u go to the website, contact us, they have a form to send a message if you are remote.  Or you can stop by the store.

@Cory does interact with the Forum, but the best way to ensure they are able to identify is though the "normal channels."  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just purchased this heater to replace a Top Fin 100 watt heater that came with my tank kit. It was/is a glass heater but already there is condensation inside the glass tube and so rather than sit here obsessing over it, I just ordered the ACO heater!

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 7/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Dnogator said:

Some basics would be, did you clean the glass before attaching it? Any algae or scuzz on the glass will compromise the stick. Maybe wipe off the suction cuts with your fingers and scrape the glass where you are gonna stick it? 

On 7/10/2022 at 12:15 PM, Cory said:

Some basics would be, did you clean the glass before attaching it? Any algae or scuzz on the glass will compromise the stick. Maybe wipe off the suction cuts with your fingers and scrape the glass where you are gonna stick it? 

Thanks Cory. I checked everything and maybe my cord had too much backward force on it, if that makes sense. I cleaned everything well and reattached with less force on the cord. Fingers crossed! I assume you didn’t see any issues like this in testing. Besides this issue, I love the profile, size, and the look of the heater. 

• Like 2

Hi Cory,

So I'm loving this heater, and at first I did not think it was going to be good enough for my 40 gallon tank, but I was wrong and its working well as intended. My question is on the suction cups, any thoughts on upgrading those in the future? I find that they don't hold well enough and often come loose and I got a floating heater?

I have 7 of these now in all different sizes of tanks, 10G, 20G (x3), 29G, 55G, and a 60G. Even in the 55G and 60G I’m only using 1 and they work great. I’m in process of changing out my entire fishroom with these I love the flat design, out of water temp control, digital display, and much more. I haven’t experienced any issues yet some have complained of the suction cups but all of mine are sticking true. I think I’ll need 2 for my75G and 3 for my 125G then I need 3 more for other tanks. I’m trying to get all bought while they are $5 off, I need 8 so 🤞

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, Dnogator said:

Thanks Cory. I checked everything and maybe my cord had too much backward force on it, if that makes sense. I cleaned everything well and reattached with less force on the cord. Fingers crossed! I assume you didn’t see any issues like this in testing. Besides this issue, I love the profile, size, and the look of the heater. 

@Axredx After reading this, I went and looked how the heater was sitting in the tank after it comes off the glass. I did notice that it had twisted 90 degrees. I then positioned the power cord so the heater was parallel with the glass before I stuck it back on. Scraped the glass and cleaned the suction cups with my fingers. That’s was 5 days ago and it’s still stuck to the glass. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!

Getting back into the hobby after decades away. I'm setting up a 20 long - old school style: UGF, unplanted, etc. It's going to be in a basement which tends to be on the cool side. I'm very interested in your new 100W heaters and was would like your opinion(s) on the idea of setting up two of these, one on each of the short sides of the tank. I was thinking that this would provide more even heating and also a little redundancy in case one of the units fails.

BTW, I personally like the end-of-life warning feature.

Thanks!

I really like my ACO heater. Love the look and design love the size and easy to hide it  Since Cory help me, and it is working like a champ ...  Keeping my 55 gallon nice ... only have one problem, and it is not ACO heater fault  it is trying to keep it clean of nitrite snail  eggs have to wipe it daily of eggs …  My  nitrites love this heater too  I am planning on getting a heater  for my new shrimp tank towards winter, my spare room gets extra  cold in the winter & when my quarantine tank heater goes died getting one there too ... to replace that one too  I clean the wall area and the suction cups  before trying to stick the heater  to the wall, it stays  in place 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cory! I read on your website that a second run on your ACO heater will be coming. Is there a timeframe when that might be? I'd rather wait until then to get one.

Also, this might sound silly but my BF asked me to mention a suggestion and that's to have your ACO logo printed on the back of the heater instead of the front. He said his aquarium is starting to look like NASCAR with all the logos on everything...lol I told him that's probably asking too much and that he could just paint over the logo with a fish safe black acrylic paint but he made me ask anyway... lol 

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2022 at 1:20 PM, CharlieB55 said:

Hello all!

Getting back into the hobby after decades away. I'm setting up a 20 long - old school style: UGF, unplanted, etc. It's going to be in a basement which tends to be on the cool side. I'm very interested in your new 100W heaters and was would like your opinion(s) on the idea of setting up two of these, one on each of the short sides of the tank. I was thinking that this would provide more even heating and also a little redundancy in case one of the units fails.

BTW, I personally like the end-of-life warning feature.

Thanks!

Hey Charlie...welcome back to the hobby. The idea of a 2 heater tank is a good one, especially to act as a failsafe if one fails in the off position. (Heaters can fail in the on position two, which is where an Inkbird contoller can be a lifesaver.)

As for 2 - 100W heaters in a 20 long, I think that may be significantly more than you need. I have an ACO heater in a 125 gallon, 6 foot tank. The basement is in the mid-upper 60's. The single 100W does a great job on its own maintaining 77-78 degrees. Given your 20 long is 1/6th the volume, I think a single 100W will be more than enough (or 2-50 watts of a different brand).

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice quikv6!

I think I'll go with the two ACO 100's. If one is sufficient, then I'll save the other as a backup. (My family doesn't believe that the air conditioner is working unless there are icicles in the oven 🥶). I have looked at 50 watt models with a similar form factor to the ACO, but I'm a little leery about all of those no-name versions. The ACO's are reasonably priced and at least I have a resource to turn to if I encounter any problems.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did notice a failure with this heater this weekend.  Now this is more my fault but maybe something to keep in mind with future builds. A ton of rams horns got in between the guard and nested within the heater which caused the heater to either stop working entirely or correctly tried to heat up my tank to 81 and noticed tank was only at 77.  Like I said my fault but getting a ton of critters between your guard does cause problems.  I have multiple of these heaters so I popped a new one in and is working fine. 

I am curious about the 50W heater. I'd love to order a few of those. I see it listed as an option alongside the 100W but both are sold out. When I ordered my ACO 100 Watt heaters, there was no option for 50W, otherwise I woud've bought a few as well.

Any info on the 50W?

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the thread necro, but it seems like the most logical place for the question, versus a new thread.

I have seen several posts with dimensions of the body of the heaters, and a statement to the effect that the cord is 11.8" long. Does anyone using these heaters know the length of the cable is between the heater body and the temperature controller, and the length from temperature controller to the plug?

On 7/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, jasper5150 said:

Any ideas?

Warm the suction cups in hot water, attach them, then use one hand on either side of the glass to push and try to get the air out from the suction cup.  Either it's because the cup is too stiff or because it's such a shape/size that the air is difficult to get out.

Question for everyone who has one of these. 

I had an old eheim jager and it got stuck in the "nope" mode and was very difficult to get to function correctly.  I generally try to get a heater with a certain wattage / precision, but I just don't trust a lot of the "made for a 5 gallon tank" style of heaters because of my experiences with them.

Here's my dilemma. I have a need for a QT tank and I need a heater that will keep it a certain degree above ambient. For most heaters, the range I need is slightly higher than the normal 10 degrees above ambient limit.  So I almost always upsize the heater.  Doing that, means it doesn't usually fit the 10G tank height too well and that leads to the constant "low flow" warning. 

I have purchased the 100W version and it's on its way.  I fully expect winter temps to get close to the low 50's/high 40's in the house (bad insulation, thin walls, really cold nights) and on my 29Gs I am running 200W heaters to try to keep those at 70-72 degrees. At the old house, I was running two 300W heaters on a 75G to keep those temps relatively stable without killing the heaters on full. (or a 200 and a 300)

Has anyone used the ACO heaters in such a situation and have an idea of how high above ambient the 100W heater can take a 10G tank?  I fully expect it to work, I just want to ask if anyone has run one in a similar situation.  Secondly, does anyone recall what the watt / gallon "rule" was when you were sizing heaters for a certain degree above ambient?

Edited by nabokovfan87