Aquarium Co-Op 100 Watt Heater

Cory

On 4/29/2022 at 2:06 PM, Anon said:

You're right. In the new video he explains it times the amount of time plugged in, not actively running. This is kind of counterintuitive in my opinion and makes the end of life light useless information. It's not a BAD feature... but I don't care how long something has been plugged in. 

If the thermostat isn't engaging, the parts aren't being worn. My 10 gallon goodeid tank heater runs less than 3 hours a week. My 55 gallon community tank heater runs at least 3 hours a day. The EL light means nothing to me. I'll still try the heater next time I need the one, though.

The EL feature isn't the worst but you're definitely right about how I'd prefer if it was based on the number of on/off cycles that the heater goes through. I don't know if that's possible as the current version is likely an internal timer. I don't think it's bad per se, it could actually encourage people to return to the rationale of unplugging your heaters during the summer months which is largely beneficial.

• Administrators
On 4/29/2022 at 2:22 PM, ange said:

The EL feature isn't the worst but you're definitely right about how I'd prefer if it was based on the number of on/off cycles that the heater goes through. I don't know if that's possible as the current version is likely an internal timer. I don't think it's bad per se, it could actually encourage people to return to the rationale of unplugging your heaters during the summer months which is largely beneficial.

The work around... and yes, I realize a product shouldn't need a work around. Is pairing it with a temperature controller. In this instance it would be 10,000 hours only when it was heating.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:09 PM, Ken Burke said:

@Cory,

I’m flying home today, and having trouble controlling myself. That compact size is A-MAZE-ING!!!

are there plans to provide a 200-300W in the future?  

Currently no plants for 2-300 watt. Often times the more wattage makes them less reliable, more heat = faster degradation. basically the circuit board is the same size, where the heat is 2-3x, and cooks it faster.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:35 PM, Cory said:

The work around... and yes, I realize a product shouldn't need a work around. Is pairing it with a temperature controller. In this instance it would be 10,000 hours only when it was heating.

Some of us just refer to it as the Murphy's Law of Fishkeeping: Double redundancy is prevention of emergencies (dripoe)

On 4/29/2022 at 3:35 PM, Cory said:

Currently no plants for 2-300 watt. Often times the more wattage makes them less reliable, more heat = faster degradation. basically the circuit board is the same size, where the heat is 2-3x, and cooks it faster.

I seem to recall you explaining this in a livestream a few years ago? Part of your rational of why it was better to have more than one [smaller] heater in the tank than to have a single larger heater in the tank.

• Administrators
On 4/29/2022 at 2:55 PM, sairving said:

Any plans to release a 50 or 25 watt version? These look awesome but my tank is only 10 gallons and 100 watts is a bit overkill. Cold winter weather means I need a 50 watt heater.

I'd say potentially. It's a big cost to launch an electronic as each run has minimums.  I think if this goes well, we'd look at some data and see if 25 or 50 watt made sense next.

Western Pa. Here.  My fish tanks are in my family room in the basement.  My thermostat for the house is set to 71 -  72 degrees all year.  In the winter my basement is 69-70 degrees, but in the summer the temperature can go as low as 64-65 degrees.  Unplugging isn’t a real option for me.  

• Administrators
On 4/29/2022 at 5:55 PM, Jacob Hill said:

This answered some questions I had but how does this thing compare to the Fluval E series heaters?

What are you wanting compared? Price is half, size is half, cord is longer. Perhaps reliability? I can't really speak to that. I've had like 1 or 2 fluval heaters fail on me over the years. I've never had one of these fail. But that doesn't mean these are more reliable. I need more years and more heaters in my own use to give an opinion like that. They both have LED displays, they both have blinking errors. etc.

On 4/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, Jacob Hill said:

This answered some questions I had but how does this thing compare to the Fluval E series heaters?

The E series is at a whole different price point. Most are around $60 and the co-op one is $21. 

Edited by Sun.singh1991

On 4/29/2022 at 6:04 PM, Cory said:

What are you wanting compared? Price is half, size is half, cord is longer. Perhaps reliability? I can't really speak to that. I've had like 1 or 2 fluval heaters fail on me over the years. I've never had one of these fail. But that doesn't mean these are more reliable. I need more years and more heaters in my own use to give an opinion like that. They both have LED displays, they both have blinking errors. etc.

One of the "features" I like from the E-Series is the cage (which this has) as well as the color coding warning system.  It's pretty blatant when you see a big red flashing light to know something is wrong.  Is there potential to customize the color of the LED away from red?  I would also just add as far as a comparison, one of the big things that kills heaters is not having enough flow.  Have you done any testing regarding a comparison, or can you think of a test that could be performed, which would equate to the cage design on this heater vs. the fluval when it comes to flow of the cage?  Is there a possibility of adding any sort of warnings to a "pro version" in a distant future if demand and industry standards change to push that feature for the heater market?

Just placed an order for 2 new ACO heaters.  I use an InkBird temperature controller for each of my tanks and will be using it in conjunction with the ACO heaters.  I have it so the InkBird controls the heaters coming on/off.

My question is will the ACO heaters remember the temperature setting when the InkBird turns on the heater??

Crap, I just put in my ACO order for a bunch of food and forgot to order some of these. Guess I'll be putting in another order in shortly.

Based on the specs of the heater guard, what are the size of the holes? Are they large enough for baby Ancistrus to make their way in and get stuck? 

• Administrators
On 5/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, Tihshho said:

Crap, I just put in my ACO order for a bunch of food and forgot to order some of these. Guess I'll be putting in another order in shortly.

Based on the specs of the heater guard, what are the size of the holes? Are they large enough for baby Ancistrus to make their way in and get stuck? 

I'm sure they could get stuck. However I tested the heater where I breed super red longfins and had no problems.