Ive never kept native fish before and Im looking to get into it. I want to have a nice looking tank with interesting fish that fit in a 10 gallon. Any ideas? I would also like fish that I could purchase, as I dont really want to collect my own.

Thanks,
Jack 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/28/2022 at 6:32 PM, JackH said:

Ive never kept native fish before and Im looking to get into it. I want to have a nice looking tank with interesting fish that fit in a 10 gallon. Any ideas? I would also like fish that I could purchase, as I dont really want to collect my own.

Thanks,
Jack 

Oh Jack . . . there's a world of possibilities here!

One excellent choice is several trios of Elassoma gilberti (Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish) in a highly planted tank. They can be bought from US Native Fish sellers, though you may need to wait for them to get in stock...

1611669074_ScreenShot2022-04-28at10_42_08PM.png.050d2c189e47ad1ca9d3e5b0052f5db1.png

Another option would be a pair of colorful darters, with a few smaller fish. I am partial to Etheostoma zonale (Banded Darters). They stay reasonably small, and prefer lots of greens...

55341AB2-8148-4E6C-8301-428E21A32033.jpeg.a0977db07095957b08150bb68f787e50.jpeg

For smaller fish above the darters . . . for such a small tank . . . a few Lucania goodei (Bluefin Killifish) might be nice:

396515660_ScreenShot2022-04-28at10_49_30PM.png.405bf82cafbd00fd702c77cdbc76e394.png

But I'll tell you what . . . if you're willing to bump up to a 20 gal, or better yet, a 29 gal, you can do some more interesting fish. Here's my 29 gal US Native tank. I keep 14x Rainbow Shiners, 2x Banded Sunfish, and 4x Rainbow Darters in here...

I've been learning a lot of NANF of late, keeping a journal of it on the Forum here:

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I've personally had success keeping Pteronotropis shiners, Bluefin Killifish, Golden Topminnows, Bluespotted Sunfish, small Darters, and Gambusia in 10 gal. Tanks. Obviously you can't do all those in one tank, but there's plenty of room for 1-2 Bluespotted Sunfish and a school of Pteronotropis or Bluefins if you want a community tank

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:47 AM, JackH said:

@Fish FolkThe most I would be about to do is a 29g, preferably a 20g. Are there any sunfish other than the pygmys to keep in a 29 or 20g tank?

Yes. There are three species of sunfish in the Enneacanthus genus that would do just fine in that size tank. I personally wouldn't want more than a pair in there. They are rather reclusive, so don't expect a lot of interaction -- particularly if you leave them places to hide. I have two Enneacanthus obesus (Banded Sunfish). When fully colored, they can look like tiny Jack Dempseys...

1261267975_ScreenShot2022-04-19at10_56_58PM.png.e7b5106ff2da023a1689a1f25e4dd3f9.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Some other small sunfish to consider would be Orangespotted or Bantam Sunfish. Both are small and considered relatively peaceful. 

I personally have a small pair of Bluespotted Sunfish living in a 20L community tank, and I absolutely love them in there

20220429_105326.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I've got two Banded Sunfish in the 29 gal. video I linked in the thread above. One comes out on the lower right, and the other on the lower left. One of mine is coloring up.

Here is an excellent summary of Native fish compatibility. You could probably add a small group -- ca. 10x Rainbow Shiners in a 20 gal. with a couple Enneacanthus.

The Bluespotted Sunfish @L_goodei200 mentions are Enneacanthus gloriosus. Very pretty. Excellent choice! The Orange Spotted Sunfish probably will need a minimum 55 gal to be happy for long, though perhaps a juvenile could be kept for awhile in a 20 gal.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 12:52 PM, JackH said:

@Fish FolkMaybe I'll try breeding snails in a 3-5g and when they're big enough put them in the nanf tank. Do you think I'll have room for a pair of darters?

I’d recommend a 20 gal or larger if you’re getting into Enneacanthus and multiple species. My Darters and Sunfish do Ok together. Darters are peaceful. But Sunfish sometimes are a _tad_ mean.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 1:01 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’d recommend a 20 gal or larger if you’re getting into Enneacanthus and multiple species. My Darters and Sunfish do Ok together. Darters are peaceful. But Sunfish sometimes are a _tad_ mean.

Maybe if I put lots of places for the fish to hide and to block the view of the darters it could diffuse some of the aggression.