Hygrophila Pinnatifida deficiency advice

My first thought is potassium deficiency but I've never kept Hygrophila Pinnatifida before.

This has been planted for three weeks. I've been keeping ferts pretty low since I was fighting algae.

20220427_175415.jpg

20220427_175447.jpg

Edited by Minanora
Updated title

I have a lot of Java Ferns... If this is a potassium deficiency, does this mean I won't be able to dose fertilizers with an all in one like easy green?

I hadn't changed the water in three days, maybe 3... I'd need to check my other thread to be sure. I added a full dose of easy green yesterday. Nitrates were at 30 today before a 65% water change. I did a half dose of easy green after the water change and added easy root tabs near the heavy root feeders. So there is a single tab near the Hygrophila Pinnatifida sections now. Used the tabs very sparingly since the plants have only been in for three weeks. Should I add more?

I'm going to check nitrates tomorrow morning as well. I don't have a potassium test kit unfortunately.

I mention nitrates because I worry that using an all in one to raise potassium will raise nitrates too high.

Or am I safe since the hair algae is receding?

On 4/27/2022 at 9:29 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Minanora

Besides 30 ppm nitrates what are your other water parameters please?  pH, dKH, dGH
 -Roy

pH changes through the day. Right now it's 6.8 CO2 has been on since 4.

KH 11°

GH 18°

Nitrate is just under 10ppm after the water change and adding 4 pumps of easy green. I added 9 root tabs spread across the tank where my crypts are and other root feeders.

Hi @Minanora

It appears your light dosing of nutrients is resulting in insufficient iron.  I took your second picture, enhanced and enlarged it and added an arrow.  Do you see the dark leaf veins and lighter interveinal areas on the new leaf?  Interveinal chlorosis.  If a tank is running high nitrates and we cut back on the dosing level of any All-in-One fertilizer this can be the result.  You may also have an issue with insufficient potassium as well.  Pick up some Seachem Flourish Iron and Seachem Flourish Potassium and dose as directed.  Please show us the results in a couple of weeks when new growth emerges.  -Roy
1845689820_CareMinora02arrowlg.jpg.f914a12763ed3d2269ad72dbab61de01.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi @Minanora

Seachem iron, made from ferrous gluconate is more easily (i.e. quickly) absorbed by plants than DTPA iron (as in Easy Green) however, DTPA iron stays in suspension longer so it is available to plants for a longer period of time.  Both should be able to do the job.

I am not aware of a study detailing a correlation of algae and iron dosage.  -Roy

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Minanora

Seachem iron, made from ferrous gluconate is more easily (i.e. quickly) absorbed by plants than DTPA iron (as in Easy Green) however, DTPA iron stays in suspension longer so it is available to plants for a longer period of time.  Both should be able to do the job.

I am not aware of a study detailing a correlation of algae and iron dosage.  -Roy

Thank you so much Roy! I truly appreciate your guidance.

• Thanks 1

@Seattle_Aquarist One more thing! If I'm dosing potassium and iron in this manner, how should I go about dosing micros? There are a lot to choose from.... I'm just looking for a recommendation that doesn't include extra iron or nitrogen. My current micro fert is the Fluval Gro+ micro. It has a bit of macros, and iron. I was thinking about picking up Seachem Trace tomorrow from my lfs. I'm going to go ahead and have my house sitters dose ferts once a week (for two weeks total) while we're on vacation,

On 4/28/2022 at 8:05 PM, Minanora said:

@Seattle_Aquarist One more thing! If I'm dosing potassium and iron in this manner, how should I go about dosing micros? There are a lot to choose from.... I'm just looking for a recommendation that doesn't include extra iron or nitrogen. My current micro fert is the Fluval Gro+ micro. It has a bit of macros, and iron. I was thinking about picking up Seachem Trace tomorrow from my lfs. I'm going to go ahead and have my house sitters dose ferts once a week (for two weeks total) while we're on vacation,

Hi @Minanora

Skip the Seachem Trace, pick up Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, much better for the micro-nutrients the plants need the most including some calcium and magnesium.  I use it to supplement my micros.  Also, the iron included in Comprehensive is ferrous gluconate not chelated iron like Fluval Gro+.  Once you use up the Grow+ go to using Seachem Comprehensive for your micros.  -Roy

• Thanks 2

On 4/28/2022 at 9:18 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Minanora

Skip the Seachem Trace, pick up Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, much better for the micro-nutrients the plants need the most including some calcium and magnesium.  I use it to supplement my micros.  Also, the iron included in Comprehensive is ferrous gluconate not chelated iron like Fluval Gro+.  Once you use up the Grow+ go to using Seachem Comprehensive for your micros.  -Roy

Without your help I'm sure I'd have many more grey hairs. Lol!

I'm the only employee at my company... I'm about to go on vacation for two weeks and I wear soooo many hats. I've been at my wits end trying to get my 75 dialed in for our house sitters and taking care of my son, and working, and the garden. Thank you again, Sir.

• Like 1

Hi Minanora,

When we go on vacation I ask the "fish sitter" to come in every two days.  I cut the photoperiod back on my tanks by about 40% and time lights for convenience of "fish sitter".  I don't fertilize.  The fish sitter comes in and adds 2 cubes, 1 cube, or 1/2 cube of frozen brine or tubifex to each tank - takes them 10 minutes tops.  Fish do fine, plants grow more slowly, when I get home I trim my plants, do a water change, put lighting back to normal and look at pictures from my vacation. -Roy

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:05 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi Minanora,

When we go on vacation I ask the "fish sitter" to come in every two days.  I cut the photoperiod back on my tanks by about 40% and time lights for convenience of "fish sitter".  I don't fertilize.  The fish sitter comes in and adds 2 cubes, 1 cube, or 1/2 cube of frozen brine or tubifex to each tank - takes them 10 minutes tops.  Fish do fine, plants grow more slowly, when I get home I trim my plants, do a water change, put lighting back to normal and look at pictures from my vacation. -Roy

That's a good routine. Do you let your co2 run while you're on vacation?

Our house sitters are probably going to be staying at our house while we're gone. We have dogs that do not do well without someone around. Our house sitters are family. They have a roommate and are looking forward to having a break from sharing space.

@Seattle_Aquarist well I guess it's a good thing we both concluded that I should supplement potassium outside of an all in one! I had a feeling that K would be an issue after I added a ton, like, a LOT of java ferns .... then listened to @Bentley Pascoe's talks about how K thirsty java fern is.... Plants! so feisty. So needy. >.>

Well. I'll feed them some K and Iron before we leave for vacation on Sunday am. It'll be fine. Ty so much for the help.