Waterlogging driftwood

Jeff

I purchased a piece of driftwood a couple of weeks ago - cooked it from top to bottom. Left it out for about a week; and now placing in my tank.

It won't stay down. I thought cooking a piece of driftwood would allow it to stay submerged, as well as get rid of the tanins.

It's currently sitting in a 5g bucket with a rock on top under water. How long should I expect this process to take?

Depending on the density and weight and type days to months.  I temporarily screw mine to a slate slab or place a river rock in a mesh bag and zip tie the mesh bag to the wood.  It looks odd but it’s temporary and I’m as impatient as a 5 year old on Christmas morning when I want to start set up of a tank 😁
Edit add I just found pics of the last piece.  The trial silicone adhesive did not work so hubby screwed it on. The journey with this piece starts on page 18 of my journal if you want to read. It took 2 months before it was completed sitting heavily on the bottom the 29 but it hovered only half inch off the bottom so I could set it in the tank redo.

29AD06B4-FE5A-4751-9061-D6508F457AEE.png

AEFDD532-9BC5-41CB-A4C3-07515331087C.png

806D23B3-7D21-4839-8EF4-2D4D6CD171C5.png

BD72FAFD-88D6-4B00-B53B-B634FAF44D74.png

3C9C64C9-C1FD-49D0-813C-68BD8D1C57B9.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail

I’ve had spiderwood sink in a month but again zip tie it to a mesh media bag with a rock or gravel in and it is instantly sunk 😁

That is a 29 gallon tank so it’s a decent size piece. 

And the slate is still screwed in just hidden under gravel for stability

some pieces just dont like to sink, no matter how long they soak. best bet is to screw it to a piece of slate, hold it down with a rock, etc. ive never noticed boiling to make a chunk of wood sink faster. it just takes time for the water to penetrate the wood, and water log it. .

On 4/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, lefty o said:

some pieces just dont like to sink, no matter how long they soak. best bet is to screw it to a piece of slate, hold it down with a rock, etc. ive never noticed boiling to make a chunk of wood sink faster. it just takes time for the water to penetrate the wood, and water log it. .

Agreed.  What are your thoughts about using 100% silicone to secure it to the slate?  Zip ties are, well, less than attractive,and I’m not a huge fan of drilling in slate.  9so brittle). Then there Is the metal in the screw.  Iron is fine, but the other metals I’m not so sure.  

On 4/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, lefty o said:

I tried putting rocks against it at the bottom - no help at all. Because of it's odd shape, it's difficult to put a heavy rock on top of it; to stay, in my tank....like I have in the 5g bucket right now.

Edited by Jeff

On 4/27/2022 at 10:13 PM, Ken Burke said:

Agreed.  What are your thoughts about using 100% silicone to secure it to the slate?  Zip ties are, well, less than attractive,and I’m not a huge fan of drilling in slate.  9so brittle). Then there Is the metal in the screw.  Iron is fine, but the other metals I’m not so sure.  

a good blob of silicone would probably work fairly well. ive always just used slate with a drywall screw myself.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 9:13 PM, Ken Burke said:

Iron is fine, but the other metals I’m not so sure.  

Stainless Steel screws are aquarium safe.

I drilled a hole in the bottom corner and tied a rock on it with fishing twine for my 10G. In my 46G I had one piece that wanted to float so I screwed it to another piece (also to create a more stable structure) and then used J-B Water Weld to secure rocks to the bas which also weighted and stabilized the pieces.

• Like 1