Hello from Monument, CO

Hello,

I am getting back into the hobby. I had a 55 gallon tank with Ciclids for 10+ years. My life changed and I moved away from the hobby. Ive been away for 14 years. I've wanted to get back to having a fish family again but wasn't quite ready. My daughter has a friend with this tank and fish that she needed a new home for... So, now I'm back in it ready or not!

Community fish are new to me. These are Guppies and Danios with a couple of Albino Corydoras as bottom feeders.

The only items gifted to me were the tank and fish. There wasn't  a bubbler,  decorations, filter, or heater! I'm happy they survived. I plan to get a 40 to 55 gal (haven't decided) in August. I'm used to Ciclids so I bought bigger decorations and that's a mistake.... I purchased some smaller ones so the fish have more swimming room and they should be here soon.

I've never had live plants in a tank before and I'm interested in giving it a try. And, like I said, community fish are new to me. I've gotten some books and was told about your YouTube channel which I joined as a member to support what you do and hopefully learn a lot along the way. 

I've seen a few videos already, have a few questions and that's why here! I'm happy to have a fish family again! 💓 

16510693329177196441737835571802.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Welcome back to the hobby, northern neighbor!

As a member, check out the Corydora video and the Tom Barr presentation on plants  if you enjoy deep dives into information. You can start a journal in here to document your journey back into fishkeeping, and to make it easier to ask questions and keep the answers easy to find. Community aquariums are a lot of fun, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get attached to livebearers (especially as a former cichlid keeper, these were "feeder fish" lol).

• Like 1

Hello from COS!

From a "what will fish like best" perspective, a 40 Breeder (36x18x16") will be better than a 55 for the fish species you have listed. More bottom surface area.

The only reason I'd ever choose a 55g is if I had angles or other "tall" fish that need a lot of vertical room.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 5:53 PM, Torrey said:

Welcome back to the hobby, northern neighbor!

As a member, check out the Corydora video and the Tom Barr presentation on plants  if you enjoy deep dives into information. You can start a journal in here to document your journey back into fishkeeping, and to make it easier to ask questions and keep the answers easy to find. Community aquariums are a lot of fun, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get attached to livebearers (especially as a former cichlid keeper, these were "feeder fish" lol).

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to check them out. 

On 4/27/2022 at 6:10 PM, AndEEss said:

Hello from COS!

From a "what will fish like best" perspective, a 40 Breeder (36x18x16") will be better than a 55 for the fish species you have listed. More bottom surface area.

The only reason I'd ever choose a 55g is if I had angles or other "tall" fish that need a lot of vertical room.

Great info. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.