White plaque (?) on cryptocoryne leaves

Today I noticed a weird plaque (for lack of a better description) on the leaves of a cryptocoryne in my 20G high.  I have no idea when it developed as I did not notice it until I was using a flashlight to look for hair algae. The "plaque" can be wiped off of the leaves. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?  Is it normal and I am just becoming obsessive?  

Tank Deets:

5 Otos (John Wick, Tony Soprano, Ray Donovan, Schmendrick, Dr. Marsh)

5 adult Platy (Diamond, Rocket, Baby Shark, Spot, Silver Surfer)

A bunch of platy fry (the red shirts)

Water Parameters:

• PH 8
  • KH 8
  • GH 260
  • Nitrite/Ammonia 0
  • Nitrate 25
  • Temp: 74
  • I add potassium and iron twice a week (Seachem)

Inked20220426_200421_LI.jpg

20220426_200356.jpg

20220426_200421.jpg

Edited by PaigeIs
typo

Hi @PaigeIs, I am not too sure about the crypts, usually crypts look waxy/ glossy but given that you can wipe it off, I am not too sure what it could be. Hopefully someone else here can help you with that.

However, I wanted to mention that the algae on the leaves looks like it could be staghorn algae which can be caused by excess iron. It may help to reduce the amount and/ or frequency of your iron dosing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:53 PM, Isaac M said:

However, I wanted to mention that the algae on the leaves looks like it could be staghorn algae which can be caused by excess iron. It may help to reduce the amount and/ or frequency of your iron dosing. 

Thanks Isaac. The staghorn is a menace and predates the iron supplement.  I was having some other issues that could be caused by low potassium and iron so I started supplementing them.  Maybe I'll cut back to once a week and see of the plants stay healthy.  The algae isn't getting worse, but I am ever vigilant!  I've had luck with H2O2.  

On 4/26/2022 at 9:02 PM, Isaac M said:

I see, does the staghorn only grow in a certain area or all over the aquarium? It could be related to excess light as well. 

You have great names for your fish by the way haha 

The staghorn is only in small spots on a couple of the plants.  I'm slowly getting it under control.  

The white “plaque” looks like biofilm/bacteria colonies forming on the unhealthy decaying portions of the leaves.  The leaves being unhealthy could be why the staghorn is targeting them taking advantage of the excess nutrients they are releasing in the decay process.  I’m not great at identifying specific nutrient deficiency causing the leaves to be unhealthy though. That is for the professionals @Mmiller2001 and @Seattle_Aquarist 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe some kind of biofilm or fungus? 

Make sure you are adding P and other Micros to your fertilization regiment. Just adding potassium and iron seems odd.

Definitely staghorn, usually caused by small unmeasurable amounts of Ammonia caused by underlying poor plant health or too many fish and possibly mulm buildup.

Plants love low KH and pH, but livestock conditions look good. 

I'd get a comprehensive fertilizer regiment going and stay the course. Cryptocoryne can adapt and I would give it time. I would also increase water changes and verify no ammonia in the source water.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the advice.  The hair algae seems to be some sort of trigger.  I promise, it's getting under control.  There was a significant outbreak a few weeks ago. I started using Easy Carbon every other day and H2O2 on some of the worst areas.  Now I just find a few filaments here and there (hence the flashlight).  I started with the potassium and iron because I was seeing pinholes in some of the anubias (there are 4).  I'm sure the plants would love a lower pH but my tap water is what my tap water is (love circular logic). I do test my tap water and sometimes there are measurable amounts of ammonia and nitrite.  I live less that a mile from commercial strawberry and artichoke fields. All that said, thanks for the helpful advice.  I'll definitely cut back on the iron and spend more time trimming old leaves.  As for the white film, I guess I'll wipe it off and monitor the situation.  

Thank you!  

On 4/26/2022 at 8:40 PM, PaigeIs said:

Today I noticed a weird plaque (for lack of a better description) on the leaves of a cryptocoryne in my 20G high.  I have no idea when it developed as I did not notice it until I was using a flashlight to look for hair algae. The "plaque" can be wiped off of the leaves. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?  Is it normal and I am just becoming obsessive? 

Water Parameters:

• PH 8
  • KH 8
  • GH 260
  • Nitrite/Ammonia 0
  • Nitrate 25
  • Temp: 74
  • I add potassium and iron twice a week (Seachem)

Inked20220426_200421_LI.jpg

20220426_200421.jpg

Hi @PaigeIs

That is some hard (almost 15 dGH) highly alkaline water you have there!  Does it come out of the tap like that or does it become that way after it has been in your tank for a while?

Your nitrates are good, what did products did you start dosing for iron and potassium? -Roy

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @PaigeIs

That is some hard (almost 15 dGH) highly alkaline water you have there!  Does it come out of the tap like that or does it become that way after it has been in your tank for a while?

Your nitrates are good, what did products did you start dosing for iron and potassium? -Roy

Yes, the water comes from the tap that way, though it does vary between 13 - 15.  I test the tap water once a month or so.  The fish seem to like it well enough, nobody has died and they breed like crazy.  The nitrates can get high, 80ppm, pretty quickly.  I've found a weekly 40% water change keeps the numbers between 20ppm and 30ppm for both of my tanks.   I started dosing 1mm of Seachem Potassium, and 1mm of Seachem Iron about three weeks ago to address some pinholes in my anubias. I also use Easy Green a couple times a week.    

On 4/28/2022 at 9:29 AM, PaigeIs said:

Yes, the water comes from the tap that way, though it does vary between 13 - 15.  I test the tap water once a month or so.  The fish seem to like it well enough, nobody has died and they breed like crazy.  The nitrates can get high, 80ppm, pretty quickly.  I've found a weekly 40% water change keeps the numbers between 20ppm and 30ppm for both of my tanks.   I started dosing 1mm of Seachem Potassium, and 1mm of Seachem Iron about three weeks ago to address some pinholes in my anubias. I also use Easy Green a couple times a week.    

Hi @PaigeIs

Keep up dosing the extra Seachem Iron as directed on the bottle "Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) or as required to maintain about 0.10 mg/L iron." and watch the new leaves as they emerge.  I would dose 2X per week.  The new leaves should be greener without the 'whitish' coloration you have been seeing. -Roy

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2022 at 4:22 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @PaigeIs

Keep up dosing the extra Seachem Iron as directed on the bottle "Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) or as required to maintain about 0.10 mg/L iron." and watch the new leaves as they emerge.  I would dose 2X per week.  The new leaves should be greener without the 'whitish' coloration you have been seeing. -Roy

Will do!   Do you recommend trimming the older leaves (the ones with the "plaque"?

On 4/30/2022 at 8:15 PM, PaigeIs said:

Will do!   Do you recommend trimming the older leaves (the ones with the "plaque"?

Hi @PaigeIs

I wouldn't, they are still helping provide nutrients for the plant.  Once this 'plaque' issue is resolved then if they are too unsightly you can remove a leaf each time a new one comes in and matures.  That way the plant maintains it ability to grow.  -Roy

• Thanks 1