2 Options... need help deciding

FrozenFins

So I'm currently in a little pickle. I have enough space next to my shrimp tank for either the marine land portrait 3 gallon, or the 5 gallon. 

For the new tank I want to put a betta in it. Ever since the passing of my last betta, I've missed having one around. 

If i get the 3 gallon I could move the shrimp that is currently in my fluval spec 5 gallon into the 3 gallon, and then put the new betta in the fluval spec. 

PROS OF A 3 GALLON:

• Truthfully, I think the betta would look better in the 5 gallon.
  • the 3 gallon would save money. The aquarium itself is cheaper, but less plants and hardscape needed.
  • I could setup a scape thats more catered towards shrimp.

PROS OF A 5 GALLON

• Clearly 5 gallons is better then 3. I can afford both tanks.
  • Is 3 gallons too small for a breeding colony for shrimp?
  • I also need to move the shrimp, which could be stressful. I'm also not sure how well a newly cycled tank would do well with shrimp.

I would go with the 5 gallon. My best reason for going with the 5 gallon is that if you ever want to do something different down the road, a 5 gallon will be much better and could handle more than a 3 gallon. A 3 gallon will be very limited. 

• Like 1

My Scapes from Scraps is just under 3 gallons. In the before covid times, I had a thriving carbon rili colony in it.

As long as you can stay on top of small water changes, almost daily, 3 gallons saves money. 

That being said, when I got covid and couldn't stay on top of the water changes, the shrimp died.

A larger tank would have been more forgiving. 

On 4/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, FrozenFins said:

Is 3 gallons too small for a breeding colony for shrimp?

I would say a 3, 5, and 10 is too small for a "breeding colony" especially if you're trying to let it get pretty big. The Betta may predate pretty heavily on the colony as well and might end up going after bigger and bigger shrimp over time. Essentially, depending on the personality of the Betta, it might gravitate towards bothering the shrimp because that's the biggest food source.

• Like 1

I found when relocating entire colonies of shrimp if I remove as much old water from the current tank as I can while the colony remains in the original tank and put that old water  in the new setup.  Then move the shrimp to the new set up with only the same water they were already in. Wait 10-15 minutes then add new water top off. My shrimp rarely have issues.  My brain interprets that like they got pushed downstream and just physically relocated while parameters remained as they were.  Crazy I know but it works for me.  Of course I have shrimp invade new tanks on sponge filters so might just be my imagination.  Go for the five. You never regret having extra room but usually regret not enough room or in the future less room limits options.  My neos love plain old river rocks stacked in three with space under for babies to feel safe. Very inexpensive to add dimension to scapes and fill space. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 3:19 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would say a 3, 5, and 10 is too small for a "breeding colony" especially if you're trying to let it get pretty big. The Betta may predate pretty heavily on the colony as well and might end up going after bigger and bigger shrimp over time. Essentially, depending on the personality of the Betta, it might gravitate towards bothering the shrimp because that's the biggest food source.

The plan is to have the shrimp and betta seperated for that very reason. The betta would be in one of the 5 gallons, and the shrimp in the ohter tank.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, FrozenFins said:

The plan is to have the shrimp and betta separated for that very reason. The betta would be in one of the 5 gallons, and the shrimp in the other tank.

My mistake I think I got confused!  OK that's good news. 

What I was saying... for a "shrimp colony" I'd probably have minimum a 20L.  More surface are is what is "best" in my experience to give you more room for surfaces in shady spots on the tank where they tend to hang out.  That would give you higher colony numbers than say a 20H I bet.  The 3 vs. 5g thing. I totally understand the limitations with space and availability. I would try to get a 20L or something similar if possible, but that might be something similar to my situation, waiting on the big sale until I can even consider it.

Edited by nabokovfan87
typo
  • Like 1