Fancy shrimp parasite?

Polarcard

• pH 7.8
  • Nitrates 20
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • Water Temperature 78

I just stocked my newly cycled tank with fish, shrimp. and snails and I was so happy watching them swim around but I noticed this on a shrimps head. Can I get help in identifying which parasite it is and how to deal with it.

Shrimp parasite.gif

IMG_1265.jpg

Edited by Polarcard

edit…I was just able to blow the first gif up to see it. That is not a planarian they do not move like that sorry.

Does the parasite move or stay put?  If it moves I suspect it could possibly be a type of planarian.  Here is a chart of several types that may help you identify it IF it is a planarian.  

DA292DB9-CB7E-4FDA-9F91-8ADC501C1EE6.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

First thing first, pull the infected shrimp and place them into a QT system. IME shrimp parasites are easier to control with culling or treating in another tank. Normally, I would say it looks like Scuttalaria Japonica, but it's a bit long for that though the movement is about right. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 11:51 AM, Tihshho said:

Move any shrimp with with obvious infections first. Generally, invert parasites are obvious, so I only move the ones with the infection and keep an eye on the tank they were in while figuring out the treatment of the infected.

I moved the shrimp to a QT but I'm having trouble identifying the parasite. The light in the QT is pretty bad so that doesnt help. I'm not sure where to go from here.

so far I only see one shrimp with the parasite but i'll be keeping a close eye on the others and the fish.

Thank you for your help!

• Like 1