Seeking Algae Solution Opinions

ADMWNDSR83

After moderately planting my 37 gallon tank, I discovered I was seeing more and more bladder snails.  Two Assassin snails later, and I have no bladder snail issues.  However, I am seeing more brown algae diatoms.  I have a clown pleco in the tank, but he refuses to emerge from under the sponge filter or one of my pieces of driftwood, so he's no help.  I don't want to get other snails, since I figure the assassins will make quick work of them.  I'm thinking my two options are Siamese Algae Eaters or a Bristlenose Pleco.  I would love thoughts and opinions, or even if anyone has any other ideas!  As a reminder, so far all of my fish, except for the school of cories, have an orange and black color scheme.  If it makes a difference, the vast majority of the brown algae has populated my Windelov Java Fern, which sits nearly under my filter return.  Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, Jessica. said:

Are Amano Shrimp an option for you? I run amanos and otos in all my tanks for algae control. 

This image & caption is from tropica, showing how effective amano shrimp are at eating algae. 

1947442744_ScreenShot2020-10-17at1_33_05PM.png.22af968bb1c141591284ce6ac8dc989e.png

source- 

TROPICA.COM

The right aquarium - The right plants - The right fish

I didn't know if they'd get eaten.  It would be an expensive treat if they do! 😉 

10 minutes ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

A few of the videos I've watched on YouTube said that Otos would get eaten by angels.  Others have said they're great tank mates.  I never know who to believe lol.

I keep Ottos in all my tanks. 

• Thanks 1

Let's back up folks.

If the original snails were keeping the algae in check, and there is nothing else going one, then why not remove/move the assassin snails and restore the original bladder snails. Or, if you don't like the bladder snails, try a different variety. I hear nerite snails are good algae eaters. Considering you may not like snails, the cheaper 'olive' color of the nerites are not only subdued in color they are also small.

Good luck with your tank!

• Thanks 1