Disinfecting a new tank with salt

Karen B.

Greetings 

I am looking for a way to clean/disinfect my brand new tank either with salt or vinegar.

It wasn’t in a box or wrapped and was sitting on a shelf on my big chain pet store. It was too high for people to reach inside of it but as I am paranoid and the fact that everyone uses hand sanitizer nowaday, in case anything got in the tank (like when transporting it), I just want to be extra cautious.

So, if anyone has a solution (with measures please, not just « a bunch of »), I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, must I let the aquarium dry off completely or just rincing very well is ok?

Thank you!

I don’t know if there is a specific reason (ie something it does to hand sanitizer) that you are wanting salt or vinegar.  I disinfect tanks with standard hydrogen peroxide purchased at the grocery or pharmacy.  I use it straight as its premixed to 3% pharmacy levels to disinfect. 

Hydrogen peroxide leaves no residue. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 8:19 AM, Guppysnail said:

I don’t know if there is a specific reason (ie something it does to hand sanitizer) that you are wanting salt or vinegar.  I disinfect tanks with standard hydrogen peroxide purchased at the grocery or pharmacy.  I use it straight as its premixed to 3% pharmacy levels to disinfect. 

Hydrogen peroxide leaves no residue. 

No, no particular reason. It just seemed to be less eh… scary?… to use then bleach and such since my tank is new so am not trying to kill any bacterias, just want to be safe.

How does it work with hydrogen peroxide? I pour a bit on a paper towel and just scrub the glass then rince the aquarium? Must I let it dry off completely? What if there is a bit left behind, is it toxic to fish?

I buy it in spray bottles mist the entire thing let sit a few minutes rinse a little and go I don’t dry it since hydrogen peroxide breaks down quickly and is residue free. It’s harmless even if you don’t rinse. I rinse due to anything the tank came in contact with. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, Karen B. said:

No, no particular reason. It just seemed to be less eh… scary?… to use then bleach and such since my tank is new so am not trying to kill any bacterias, just want to be safe.

How does it work with hydrogen peroxide? I pour a bit on a paper towel and just scrub the glass then rince the aquarium? Must I let it dry off completely? What if there is a bit left behind, is it toxic to fish?

salt, vinegar, peroxide are all preferable to bleach. i have a rule about bleach, it does not go near anything aquarium related. i know others use it, but there are other options that works just about as well at killing off bad things, without the potential downsides. especially for a brand new tank, id wipe it out with vinegar, then rinse with very warm water.

• Like 1

So, I’m an outlier here.  I just rinse, using a clean wet rag to wipe it down.  I’m more interested in removing dust and such, and the rag should knock that free. The only way to remove oily glycerin is soap or other cleaning agent that I won’t use in or around my tanks.  

if I needed to sanitize (biological) h2o2 would be my go to.  If I am cleaning, there are tank cleaning sprays.  I think API makes one that is safe for use inside the tank.

• Like 1

Bleach is actually perfect. It will dissipate on it's own and there is that stuff we use at water changes that neutralizes it anyway. Just don't use anything scented or soapy. 

But a new tank that's been sitting up high there is a very small chance of anything getting in it (except dust), I'm think just a good flush with tap water would be great. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 11:52 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m paranoid of ALL chemicals for any use. To let you know how harmless it is during Covid my dentist made me rinse and gargle before each visit with it. Only harmful if you are a bacteria. 😁

Why was your dentist testing if you were a bacteria? 🤪😝

• Haha 2