Tank needs to be moved, but.... floor issue

nabokovfan87

Hey Everyone,

Last night I was going to bed, watched the fish, and realized my extremely temporary QT tank setup I've been using to hold fish while we wait for the house to be "fixed" is now bowing.  I drained the tank, moved it to my desk for the time being.  Needless to say.... I don't have a lot of options and it's frustrating as can be. 

The stand I got was the imagitarium 29G brooklyn style with adjustable feet (pretty necessary).

I have the option of a 20L or a 29G aquarium based on the following:

Issue 1:  Primary position for the tank is extremely unlevel. I just tried to level out the tank stand and it was about 1/2" off level from left to right. Front to back the level was about 1" off. On the left-front leg of the stand it needs to be shimmed or adjusted about 1.5-2" out for the stand to be "close enough".

Issue 2:  The other location for the tank doesn't have any power within 20 feet of the location.  I can move some things around but then the tank is right in front of the main lightswitches in the house or right in front of a TV (that shouldn't be there in the first place).   I can send photos if it helps with any of the "secondary" locations.  In terms of the other locations, depending on which one, all of it has some pretty severe issues with the floor being flat let alone being level.

Issue 3:  This is the family tank with the family fish and so I'd very much prefer it to be out where others can enjoy it besides myself. Right now everything is in my room.

Issue 4:  I won't say they are plastic feet, but the feet on the stand are not the best quality.  I can try to source some for replacement or I can use some other material (wood or plexi) to shim the legs up so that the steel stand itself is taking the weight. 

The floor in question is a ceramic tile with some sort of a sealer/coating that makes it shiny and very slippery. My main concern is finding a location, but even when I do find one, it looks like I'm going to be dealing with a twisted floor and uneven (and potentially shifting over time) floor tiles.

I would love to just tear the floor up, but that's probably another year out.

The plan right now is to take the stand and go around to wherever there is a plug and try to find a location that works. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for the issues mentioned above as well as how to deal with such a drastic warp in a stand location?

We all remember when Corys tank busted in the story and it was something I think all of us want to do as best we can to never have to go through that.  I know having the tank uneven left to right is "ok" and it would be something where the waterline isn't straight.  Having it bowing multiple directions is the major concern and I really want to have this thing setup in such a way where it's as solid as I can make it.

Hello! 

I think some photos would be helpful, also is your tank acrylic or glass? I know that acrylic tanks can warp if the entire base is not supported, I know imaginarium (or think) makes acrylic tanks so the stand should be fine for that I would assume. I have been experimenting with electricityless tank set ups so if you think thats helpful for you I can send you photos and details in a PM to what I have done in my office, its a 20 gallon tank with 0 electricity low water usage and its been a massive success so far, its my own spin on the walstad method. 

Anyway back to the tank. I think the location being somewhere you can enjoy it is the most important. my first tank was in my bedroom because I was the one interested in fish, my dad would come into my room all the time to gaze at it and eventually I was able to get a really large tank for our living room/kitchen. If other family members are also interested in it, I would set it up whereever you both spend the most time. You can always run a really long extension to get power if you needed for that prime location. 

On 4/23/2022 at 5:22 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

I think some photos would be helpful, also is your tank acrylic or glass?

It's just an aqueon standard tank. I haven't purchased it yet but I can use either the 29G or a 20L glass aquarium depending on what fits "best" for the situation.

20220423_182413.JPG.b4f04401a8d90987b9b873c216e180ac.JPG

Left to right. This is showing the left side needing to be lifted.

20220423_182431.JPG.b63b8a56876364945e764f83cf0dbb7d.JPG

20220423_182449.JPG.5328671253d9b5c9c41ef15301ba4caf.JPG

20220423_182503.JPG.8d4132bff5097eb21385fdb402c4ae0a.JPG

This is front to back (the left leg being need to lifted moreso, and showing the front right leg)

20220423_182526.JPG.7270568c837459895e87a92ba0a14682.JPG

20220423_182554.JPG.301a8482ea3d55e35cc9efc3b49cf94f.JPG

This is a straight view with the white edge on the wall in the background to give you an idea how bad the floor is in the house right now.

20220423_183049.JPG.ddfacea7574b825a68afd04b900daf09.JPG

On 4/23/2022 at 6:39 PM, lefty o said:

main thing is the base of the tank sit flat and even on the top of the stand.

That part I'm not worried about.

Trying to adjust the legs I don't know how concerned I should be that one of the legs is 3/4 of the way unthreaded and wobbles a lot. I'm not sure what metal it is, might end up replacing it with some 304 stainless parts. As far as shims. Do we think flat thicknesses of wood or Plexi is preferred? I also have some foam ones but they will deflect a lot under the weight.

I was looking at something like this perhaps. Solid steel. Or I find the right shim material.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081T9D94C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_VTHPS5NYZN6KXBYP18MB

Or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4H2JP5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_Y73ABSERKRZHFJR9FK1S

Edited by nabokovfan87
fix links

I have the same stand under my 37g, a taller version of the 29g. I do not remember having any issues with the leveling feet, but my floor was close to level. I think you might be able to find some feet with longer shafts to offer more adjustment. 

The hardware store had free color samples of laminate flooring. They were like 4" squares of the flooring, complete with the underlayment pad. I put one under each foot to spread the weight a bit and protect the floor underneath. I would not hesitate to use I one or two under the feet.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:17 PM, Widgets said:

I have the same stand under my 37g, a taller version of the 29g.

I might have to look up the weight difference. bigger is better for this one so I can move the RTBS.  Do you notice a lot of deflection on the center of the panel of the glass?  (sorry if it's confusing, but staring at the tank, unfilled or at 50% full during a water change, on my 29 at the middle I notice it moves about 1/4" out on the front and back panels).

On 4/23/2022 at 8:17 PM, Widgets said:

The hardware store had free color samples of laminate flooring. They were like 4" squares of the flooring, complete with the underlayment pad. I put one under each foot to spread the weight a bit and protect the floor underneath. I would not hesitate to use I one or two under the feet.

Yeah, I think I can find something....  I have some lexan squares 2" x 2" that we have had forever (from working with plastic manuf.) and I might steal some from other furniture to fix that.  My hope is that I can get it "close enough" and then go ahead and have the feet incrementally adjust instead of being fully deployed.

That's the plan for now anyways.  No ride to the store for a few days, busy weekend, but I'll report back when I get some supplies and see what tanks the shop has.

Edited by nabokovfan87

The 37g is my Community Therapy tank. There is a link in my signature.

I just checked with a straight edge. It sits flat against the front glass at the top and bottom edges, right at the trim pieces. Half way up, when holding it against the glass on one side, it will pull away from the opposite edge about 1/8", so about 1/16" deflection in the front glass. I would assume the same on the back glass.

• Like 1