Python water changer (when it doesn't fit your faucets)

Kelly

I noticed posts of folks having trouble with the Python water changer not fitting any faucets in their home.  I had the same problem and tried several different attachments.  None worked.  I finally found a device on Amazon that works like a charm.  The DaMohony Kitchen Pipe Connector is a universal water tap Connector.   Every faucet we have is different and this fits them all.  You don't have to unscrew anything just pop it on.  Runs about $11.99 on Amazon. 

• Like 3

Well, to me, this is not a problem, even with the 'fancy' new faucets which look like old style pump spouts.

I'm a little more handy than some folks, so I would attack the problem not at the faucet end if there is no other easy solution, but at the supply end under the cabinet.

This method that I'm about to suggest Requires you to know some amount regarding plumbing and fittings. If you don't know what the terms "NPT" or "Compression Fitting" mean, the following is only for informational purposes.

This setup works for "filling" a tank only. The "draining" process should be well known to fish keepers. It essentially recreates the faucet, but with an outlet which can be directly connected to a fill hose.

1) Check to make sure ALL of the fittings you purchase all fit and work together correctly and as intended.

2) Double check step 1

3) Shut off the hot and cold supplies to the desired supply faucet under the cabinet.

4) Install compression fitting Tees onto the supply shut off valves outlets

5) Reconnect the supply lines to the faucet.

6) Attach the new prebuilt (by you) tank supply assembly. See below.

7) Confirm the new valves are closed.

😎 Turn the supply valves back on and check for leaks.

9) Fix any problems

The new tank supply assembly consists of two new Tees, two new flexible supply lines like the ones which go between the shut off valves and the faucet, these lines go to their own independent valves (for water temp adjustment), then to a Tee to combine the flows back into one, then to a garden hose fitting you attach your fill hose to.

ConceptWaterSupply.JPG.d6ef947d08906ec0dc689089e82a26e8.JPG

All of the parts should be readily available at your local home improvement store.

The benefits of this include:

• Permanent connection to water supply with no need to fool with the faucet.
  • Can be tucked out of the way behind a cabinet door.

The Con's of this include:

• No 'siphon' capability.
  • Need to balance temperatures with two valves

If you don't want to mess with the two valves once the temp is set, a third valve can be installed on the outlet to shut things off in one place vs two.

Remember if you attempt this, I'm not responsible for what happens. You assume all risk for attempting this.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dandy Pearl said:

Well, to me, this is not a problem, even with the 'fancy' new faucets which look like old style pump spouts.

I'm a little more handy than some folks, so I would attack the problem not at the faucet end if there is no other easy solution, but at the supply end under the cabinet.

This method that I'm about to suggest Requires you to know some amount regarding plumbing and fittings. If you don't know what the terms "NPT" or "Compression Fitting" mean, the following is only for informational purposes.

This setup works for "filling" a tank only. The "draining" process should be well known to fish keepers. It essentially recreates the faucet, but with an outlet which can be directly connected to a fill hose.

1) Check to make sure ALL of the fittings you purchase all fit and work together correctly and as intended.

2) Double check step 1

3) Shut off the hot and cold supplies to the desired supply faucet under the cabinet.

4) Install compression fitting Tees onto the supply shut off valves outlets

5) Reconnect the supply lines to the faucet.

6) Attach the new prebuilt (by you) tank supply assembly. See below.

7) Confirm the new valves are closed.

😎 Turn the supply valves back on and check for leaks.

9) Fix any problems

The new tank supply assembly consists of two new Tees, two new flexible supply lines like the ones which go between the shut off valves and the faucet, these lines go to their own independent valves (for water temp adjustment), then to a Tee to combine the flows back into one, then to a garden hose fitting you attach your fill hose to.

ConceptWaterSupply.JPG.d6ef947d08906ec0dc689089e82a26e8.JPG

All of the parts should be readily available at your local home improvement store.

The benefits of this include:

• Permanent connection to water supply with no need to fool with the faucet.
  • Can be tucked out of the way behind a cabinet door.

The Con's of this include:

• No 'siphon' capability.
  • Need to balance temperatures with two valves

If you don't want to mess with the two valves once the temp is set, a third valve can be installed on the outlet to shut things off in one place vs two.

Remember if you attempt this, I'm not responsible for what happens. You assume all risk for attempting this.

I hope this helps!

Solid solution @Daniel  are you leaving the added plumbing “under-sink” or routining to somewhere with easy access to the connection and valves?

I use the bathtub faucet. I removed the typical chrome  tub spout to reveal the iron pipe nipple. It wasn’t long enough for the Python gizmo to work so off to the hardware store for a Frankenstein fix. 
I really like using the bathtub. It’s in the hall bathroom that neither of us use and with the pandemic nobody comes to see us... indoors anyway. So, I just leave the hose coiled up and hanging on the plumbing mod. Easy to grab and run it down the hall and into the living room where my only tank is.  If we should have guests, it would be easy to pull the Python hose and the Frankenstein spout and go back to normal. 

• Like 1

I actually thought the python wasn't going to fit my faucet but then I felt like an idiot when I realized you can remove the rubber ring inside the metal connector and there were threads on the inside that did fit my faucet. Its not explained well that there are threads on the inside of the metal connector that screws into the hose nozzle attachment so I've seen quite a few people go out for connectors never realizing it.

I have the same problem, did some research and built my own python system with garden hose and a similar plumming atachments. The inlilne valve lets me shut off when syphoning move to next tank, and start back up again.

Close the inline valve when all tanks drained, take the end of the hose and connect to tap, start filling.... open valve... close, move tank, open..

IMG_20200930_101605.jpg

IMG_20200930_101951.jpg

IMG_20200930_102130.jpg

• Like 1