My first case of ich?

McNubbin

This morning I ended up having to move my juli  out of our main tank on account of him bullying our bigger male Boesemani. This of course required pulling out all of the rocks to clear hiding space.

Once done and with the tank back together, I've been watching the rainbow fishes behavior and they seem much more happy now, swimming all around the tank rather than just grouping over to the right side. However, while watching them, I noticed a couple of white spots on the males tail. Taking a closer look, I see white spots forming on the other rainbows too. 

Before I start ich treatment, since this my first case, I just want to verify that this is indeed what I am dealing with. 

Thanks in advance. 20201017_112607.jpg.d0323a1487a37c402da7857e44f777fa.jpg

Ph: 8-8.2

Nitrates 5ppm

Nitires 0

Ammonia <.025

GH 30°

KH 14°

Temp 78°f

Thanks for taking a look. I had suspected as much and started treatment yesterday. Sadly all I could find locally was the Tetra Ich Guard tablets... so blue! 

The spots I saw on my fish are still there, however, no new spots have formed. If I remember correctly, ich meds kill the parasite while multiplying. I think I'll let this sit for another day or so. If it worsens I'll take the drive into Lansing and hit up Pruess for a better treatment.

Well, it looks like things went from bad to worse. Woke up this morning to what appears to be a fungal infection.

20201019_121039.jpg.f89c2e48adf516fd6dea26ae72d57b4a.jpg

20201019_121038.jpg.e46373cc2e275c8c0fcb6441707ee492.jpg

About to head to the local pet stores and see what they might have for treatment. If nothing good I'll be on my way to Pruess in Lansing.. ill be doing a 50% water change then treating. The ich also doesn't seem to have been cured by the Tetra Ich Guard either. It hasn't gotten significantly worse, but its still very much present.

Edited by McNubbin

I’m interested in what you learn. I had the same spots on my rainbowfish fins a couple months ago that wouldnt go away after a couple weeks treating with ich x. I the treated with salt and paraguard and it went away. 

Edited by Marden

As of now, I am no closer to a solution. I used tetra ich guard, not much success there. I've now also used API fungus cure to rage care of the eye growth. It's certainly gotten better.  I am waiting out that med. I don't wanna go too crazy though since they all seem to contain malachite green by some name or another. I am going to finish up this treatment cycle, and if no dice, I'll be hitting up Craigslist to find a small aquarium to quarantine the Rainbow from the rest and treat it with some salt. 

Ok, looks like the last of the ich is cleared out. Basically a week long treatment of malachite green and a form of formaldehyde took care of it. 

What looks to be fungus on the other hand hasn't changed much in the last two days. I am going to leave the treatment in one more day as it instructs. Tomorrow I am going to pick up and set up another aquarium and quarantine the afflicted rainbow and treat it with some salt. Hopefully this will knock it out.

Ok, a quick update, the new tank is bought and is currently getting up to temp. 

The fungus cure does now seem to be having an effect. Its definitely reduced and just a small bit remains. I'm still planning on quarantining him and giving one more treatment though since it's still present. 

So, I did get the fish into a quarantine tank. He's been in the tank for 4 days today. I noticed yesterday that the spot of fungus on his eye was gone. I am finishing off the whole of the treatment. Tomorrow morning I'll be moving him back to the display tank.

All in all, this was quite the learning experience. I'll certainly be more confident moving forward. Thanks for the help @Cory