Mystery snail behavior

Hannah Parker

Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me with my pair of golden mystery snails. I got them as tankmates for my fantail goldfish in their 20 gallon long tank, and their behavior seems very off from any mystery snails I've had previously before. The tank is mature and cycled, with strict weekly water changes, extra filtration, live and fake plants and a heater set to 68. But these mystery snails never seem to move or get out of their shells. I've checked them multiple times thinking they were dead, they've even been hanging out of their shells at some points, but they're not dead. I've dropped an algae wafer in every other day because I didn't want them to starve, but it never really looks like they move to eat it. I saw one had moved in another spot of the tank over night, but as soon as I turned the lights on he dropped and stayed in his shell and has been in ever since. I've had them for over two weeks now, and am worried they're going to starve or slowly die, and just can't figure out what is wrong with them. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance. 

Are the goldfish investigating them? They will stay still during daylight if the dont feel safe. In my juvenile female guppy tank they were like that until I moved them to a tank with less nosey fish. 68 is the lower end of their comfort zone. Temp affects metabolism from my understanding so they are more active in my 77 degree tanks than in my 74 degree tanks. 

• Like 5

On 4/22/2022 at 12:11 PM, Guppysnail said:

Are the goldfish investigating them? They will stay still during daylight if the dont feel safe. In my juvenile female guppy tank they were like that until I moved them to a tank with less nosey fish. 68 is the lower end of their comfort zone. Temp affects metabolism from my understanding so they are more active in my 77 degree tanks than in my 74 degree tanks. 

He was investigating the first day or two but completely ignores them now. Would you recommend bumping the temp up to 70? Would that be alright for the goldfish? Thanks for your input 

I recommend giving them time to settle in at least a month.  I personally would not change the temp. Your little ones are fine at 68.  Snails are vulnerable critters so are fearful. Once they feel safe they will be out and about. My guppy girls are non stop nosey.  Snail sleep patterns can be days long. As long as the do not smell or float at the top hanging out of the shell give them time.  I still after many years of snails fret when mine go on napping binges. 

• Love 1

On 4/22/2022 at 1:18 PM, Guppysnail said:

I recommend giving them time to settle in at least a month.  I personally would not change the temp. Your little ones are fine at 68.  Snails are vulnerable critters so are fearful. Once they feel safe they will be out and about. My guppy girls are non stop nosey.  Snail sleep patterns can be days long. As long as the do not smell or float at the top hanging out of the shell give them time.  I still after many years of snails fret when mine go on napping binges. 

Thank you so much, I've been trying not to worry. I will keep dropping algae wafers and hoping for the best 🐌

• Like 1

Try steamed or blanched veggies.  Mine love them. Leave small pieces (I use plant weights) no more than 24 hours. Mine live them. Don’t be surprised if you Goldie does as well.  Green beans are my kids favorite.  Baby carrots are their second favorite.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I recently picked up my first mystery snail and compared to my nerite the mystery snail is off an on as the nerite is always on the move.  After the first day I had to check to see if he was dead as he was not moving and was hanging out of his shell a bit.  It has been about 2 weeks and he is still alive, nobody really pecks at him which is good so whatever is going on is keeping him alive.

• Like 1