Betta/fish keeping newb needs HELP!

Melissa G

Here’s my situation. 

I’m a newb to fishkeeping. We currently have 2 5 gallon tanks with one betta and one nerite snail each. 
I’ve evolved in my 4 short months as a hobbyist and both tanks are planted (with co-op plants and fertilizers). Each tank has 2 plants - 1 rooted and 1 floating. 
I’ve become obsessive about testing the water because I’m petrified of killing my fish. I test every 4-7 days. And perform water changes when ammonia is measured, which seems to be about every 5-7 days. I feel like this is more water changing than necessary,  it again, I’m paranoid about these little guys dying on me. I don’t want to be a fish serial killer. 
*I use API master kit testing (not strips)

Other water parameters/issues:

- all my water seems to test high pH (8.0-8.4)

- I have super hard water (very dark blue on the API strips 

- nitrates are <10-20 in each tank 

- one of my tanks often tests 0 ppm for nitrites and the other is at <.25ppm but no ammonia 

- the tank that tested <.25 had a red dwarf bulb that I’ve been waiting to sprout (day 9 and nothing has changed except the amount of algae attached to it- snail has bopped it a bit to either side, still nothing)—I’ve since removed the bulb and put it in a bowl with dechlorinated water  

ANY advice or guidance would be appreciated. My husband keeps calling me Walter White because I’m sitting at the table with test tubes and syringes of water. (OMG)

• Like 2

once a week water change would be fine and use a syringe or turkey baster to remove any un eat food after each feeding after 10 minutes use betta water conditioner and test water once a week your water parameters look fine are you using tap water or the osmosis water? and where do you live your lighting should be fine just dont have your tank in direct sunlight like a window or something like that then you will get algae

On 4/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, Melissa G said:

I’ve evolved in my 4 short months as a hobbyist and both tanks are planted (with co-op plants and fertilizers). Each tank has 2 plants - 1 rooted and 1 floating. 
I’ve become obsessive about testing the water because I’m petrified of killing my fish. I test every 4-7 days. And perform water changes when ammonia is measured, which seems to be about every 5-7 days. I feel like this is more water changing than necessary,  it again, I’m paranoid about these little guys dying on me. I don’t want to be a fish serial killer. 

What is your filtration?  Please feel free to add any photos and show off the awesome work.

Welcome!

I will share this, the parameters mentioned seem to be right on with your water in terms of hardness and PH and it might be a good resource for you regarding their care.  There is also a lot of other content creators that have written guides which can be found in the co-op blog if you prefer the written variety.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/betta-fish-care-guide

Edited by nabokovfan87