Eggshells for Shrimp. Have you tried it?

Root

Hello all! I am looking for a new way to add calcium for my RCS. I have used wonder shells, but I hate how they look. The RCS strive while I use them, but if I miss a couple of months they start having molting issues. Once I drop a shell in they are fine and start molting like crazy.

Awhile back I saw that Lucas Bretz used eggshells for his Neo’s and figured I might ask for additional feedback. Have you ever tried this? Does it work? If so how much and how often? 

Edited by Paul R

Eggshells are occasionally given to creatures that require calcium in their diet. It's common in the reptile world (with my extremely limited knowledge) and I've seen it used occasionally by people who breed snails. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work for shrimp as well.

When I was going crazy and nerming it up over shrimp (Caridina) I used shrimp salts that explicitly targeted KH. If eggshells are your preferred method and you know why they work for you, go for it. There isn't only one way to do this and a lot of the methods out there are up to preference. I can see why it may be nice for shrimp as they would likely enjoy grazing on any biofilm that forms. They may also get (limited amounts) of protein if you use shells from boiled eggs and don't clean them, which is important for egg development.

I think the main thing to monitor here is KH. If you keep track of that parameter and when your molts are better or worse, you'll be able to find what works best for your colony. This will help you to fine tune how much and how often. I know that it's not a direct answer but you've already determined at least in part that the eggshells have benefited from the addition, so that's an excellent starting point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best way is to use a calcium based food (Denerle ShrimpKing Calcium is my go to), use a shrimp specific KH booster, or the other is to go through and use crushed coral in a filter or just bits in the tank that will slowly dissolve. 

I don't use eggshells since you have to make sure they are extremely clean to make sure they don't foul the water. Some people recommend boiling them, doing so breaks down the shell and they can reduce their calcium content.

Just to be clear, when you say RCS you're talking Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocardinia) correct? Some people use that acronym for Crystal Red Shrimp (usually CRS) but go with Red Crystal Shrimp which are part of the Cardinia family. 

Edited by Tihshho
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:33 PM, Paul R said:

Thank you both! @Tihshho Yes, Red Cherry Shrimp. Do you have a link to the Denerle Shrimp Calcium you use? Is that the one labeled as Mineral or Complete? 

Woops, my mistake it IS mineral, not calcium as I previously stated. I also mix in the Snail product into the rotation too.