Fast shipping and question about sponge filter

Maggie

I ordered a few things yesterday at 3:30 pm EDT. At 6pm I forgot I hadn't ordered a sponge filter, air stone, and nano pump. But before I could start an email "hello, can I add to my order...", I received the shipped notice!! That's never happened 2 1/2 hours after ordering. Insane!

Question about sponge filter: I currently have a Marineland biowheel which has a charcoal filter. I want to add the sponge now for both air and extra bacteria, and as a safety in case of a power outtage, but could I remove the Marineland after a few weeks? If so, how is chemical filtration accomplished? Thanks!

I agree with Ken, I’d likely do 2 sponge filters on opposite sides of the tank. As far as chemical filtration, sponge filters as they come don’t have any carbon, but unless you’re trying to pull out something like tannins or medications, imo you probably don’t need the carbon. Most of the time carbon is just an added expense and companies use it to get you to buy more cartridges so they make more money. I think there’s a few videos on the coop YouTube about carbon in aquariums, I think a livestream, it’s been a minute. 

• Thanks 1

@Maggie sponge filter’s strong suit is biological filtration while mechanical filtration is a distant second. I have Marineland filters and not one of them has carbon in them. I get rid of the carbon and keep the frame to hold a polishing pad and a coarse sponge in position. With this setup the hob handles the bulk of the mechanical filtration and assists with the bio filtration.

• Like 1