Choosing 29gal Rack System

HeyItsAmanda

Hey everyone, first post here and very excited to get started. I’m contemplating what rack system I will use for my upcoming fish room. For context, I will be moving soon into a small apartment (not sure which floor yet) and want to dedicate a wall to my future aquariums. I’m wanting a display rack with room for a couple of 29’s on top with a mix of 20L’s and smaller tanks under. Lastly, I have no desire for dozens of tanks, probably 10 max. Here is what I’m looking for in a pre built rack:

* Top priority is, obviously, a rack that can support the weight of multiple tanks. Max aquarium size I’d keep on it is 29’s (so about 300lb per tank max?)

* For dimensions, either 30” x 18” or, ideally, 60” x 18”. It’d be nice to have room side by side and get a cohesive look rather than a bunch of separate individual racks. 
* The option to split the rack into 2 shorter racks is appealing. I’m pretty short so for ease I’d like to keep it to just 3 tanks high If possible. 

I’d love to hear what everyone thinks is a good rack option! Space will be limited so I need something that fits my needs just right 😃. Right now I’m looking at a lot of Muscle Racks and will link my favorites below. 

36”x18”x72” - worried about weight capacity https://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/garage-outdoor-organizers/freestanding-shelving-units/muscle-rack-trade-60w-x-72h-x-18d-5-shelf-metal-freestanding-shelving-unit/ur-60b/p-1444429587361.htm

36”x24”x72” - too deep but fits weight https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-Muscle-Rack-24-in-D-x-60-in-W-x-78-in-H-5-Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/1000556511

C1EB2301-68B5-4C50-AD3E-C793ECB3D78D.jpeg.7f6b0c92690a1fc929cff08a094523ae.jpeg

• Administrators

@HeyItsAmanda Welcome to the forum. Based on the two examples that you've shared, I 100% would recommend the rack from Lowe's, mainly because of the wire shelving. The rack from Menards has particle board shelving, which will not stand the test of time (even if you paint them). It may work for a period of time...until it doesn't. Unless you plan on using different shelving material for that rack, I would suggest not using that one. For the rack with the wire shelving, you can have pieces of wood cut to fit over those, which would give you a smooth and even surface (I would still recommend painting/treating the wood). 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:15 PM, HeyItsAmanda said:

The second one, we have one of those in the garage.  It's really not as sturdy as I thought it would be.

This one is the other one we have and it's much, much, much stronger in terms of the construction.  They sell big and short versions so you don't have to have one too tall.  As far as what would work, that's all I have experience with of assembling the lowe's link you posted and this one below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Tier-Heavy-Duty-Industrial-Welded-Steel-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-in-Red-77-in-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-HBR782478W4R/310651472

• Love 1

On 4/21/2022 at 6:43 PM, ndfi78 said:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but you probably want to check the apartment rules before purchasing anything. 

It’s alright, I’ve talked with the apartment manager and it’s fine by her. I don’t know which floor I’ll be on yet but I don’t plan on keeping any big tanks that I’d have to worry about 😃

• Like 2

• Administrators

@HeyItsAmanda The Gladiator racks are commonly used in fish rooms. They are a bit more expensive than what you linked, but they have proven to work well holding aquariums. Here is the Lowe's link: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Gladiator--Freestanding-shelving-units-Shelves-shelving-Storage-organization/4294857717?refinement=4294964195

Another option (that is less expensive and more versatile) is to go the cinder block/2'x4' stand option. That's what I have used for years. Here is an older video that Cory made: https://youtu.be/Gx5FmgyHA2Y

• 2 months later...

Update time! 
Moved into previously mentioned apartment, it’s great, and realized the floor beneath me is concrete! So I can likely hold more than I was anticipating in a second floor unit. I have settled on this rack system from Home Depot: Husky 65”w x 24”width x 54”h

The modular click-in rack was pretty wobbly. I would feel okay putting 20g’s on them, but a wall of 29g’s would be too risky, especially with height. I’ll designate it as my quarantine and nano project rack.

Lastly, thank you everyone for the help! I realize the value in spending more for the security, plus the value in having one unit to have tanks directly side-by-side under the same light bar. 

• Like 1

Mine is a bit utilitarian but works for me... There are also the restaurant storage racks which normally rate for 600lbs per shelf. My racks are the Cambro resturant shelving. The price went up a bit since then but purchased on sale pre-covid for the light weight, easy of assembly however I want it, and ability to change my set up to different layouts using only a rubber mallet was worth it for me. I use the sloted shelves it comes with with polycarbonate food grade "tanks" this one is 26x18x15. Scleromystax C112 Baianinho II posing for the photo

20220711_205405.jpg.5155c078281ea3af9344230894ae15f3.jpg

One of the units I have been using is a 24x42x64 with 4 adjustible shelves.

I use polycarbonate food grade containers as tanks.  Each is fitted with a bulkhead and a quick connect fitting that clips into to my pvc drain pipe to flow back into the sump system. 

I currently run each half of the rack as an independent sump system but could do nearly any layout with it. Using any combination of tanks up to one  22"x40"x13". 

My rack:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-cbu244264v4580-camshelving-basics-plus-vented-4-shelf-stationary-starter-unit-24-x-42-x-64/214BSL4264V4.html

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 1

I got the Gladiator racks because they come in white, which look so much nicer in my home office than some of the other colors heavy-duty racks come in. They were a little more expensive but I love the way they look and they went together so easy, plus I have total peace of mind for how overkill they are weight wise.

I plan to really load this shelf up over time but I have only set up 1 29g tank so far and a 5.5 quarantine tank. SOMETHING TO NOTE SPECIFICALLY FOR 29 GALLONS, I got the 60 inch wide rack and thought "Surely I can make 2 29s fit, they are 30 1/4th inch wide". What they don't tell you is the 60 inch width includes the width of the side supports, which have diagonal beams that prevent you from actually putting anything in that space. The width you can actually use is closer to 55 inches.

I did have to do a little extra work getting wood to put over the wire shelves, painting and waterproofing it. But it is working wonderfully for me so far.

Husky-Racks.PNG

Edited by Tayturs
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/11/2022 at 6:36 PM, Tayturs said:

I got the Gladiator racks because they come in white, which look so much nicer in my home office than some of the other colors heavy-duty racks come in. They were a little more expensive but I love the way they look and they went together so easy, plus I have total peace of mind for how overkill they are weight wise.

I plan to really load this shelf up over time but I have only set up 1 29g tank so far and a 5.5 quarantine tank. SOMETHING TO NOTE SPECIFICALLY FOR 29 GALLONS, I got the 60 inch wide rack and thought "Surely I can make 2 29s fit, they are 30 1/4th inch wide". What they don't tell you is the 60 inch width includes the width of the side supports, which have diagonal beams that prevent you from actually putting anything in that space. The width you can actually use is closer to 55 inches.

I did have to do a little extra work getting wood to put over the wire shelves, painting and waterproofing it. But it is working wonderfully for me so far.

Husky-Racks.PNG

Thank you for your experience because this was my exact question… I was wondering if the length measurement was taken for the actual shelving space or if it included the extra length with the legs/posts.  I wanted to get the 48 inch to fit four 20 gallons, but I was unsure about the length measurement. I have been searching the internet for a long time trying to figure this out.  Very helpful, thank you!

• Like 3