Guppy's fins starting to look tattered

jaydawnsin

Water Parameters:

• pH: 7.2 - 7.4
  • Nitrates: 0ppm
  • Hardness: 71.6 (4 drops on GH API test)
  • Nitrite: 0ppm
  • Ammonia: 0ppm
  • KH/Buffer: 53.7 (3 drops on KH API test)
  • Water Temperature: 79-80F

So I've had this guppy since Saturday, she's in a quarantine tank with 5 other female guppies, notably bigger but I haven't seen any bullying. I drip acclimated them for an hour and a half because I had poor luck with female guppies the last time I got them and was being cautious. One of my guppies died yesterday, no known cause that I can see, she was acting fine the night before and I woke up to her being on the bottom of the tank. As you can see in the photo, this one is having some fin tearing and some white spots? It doesn't look like ich to me but I luckily haven't seen a whole lot of ich so it could be. They're all currently sitting in the med trio and I fed them yesterday. She was the only one I saw not eating, she may have had one pellet but she was mostly in the back away from everyone else. What do yall think this is and what should I do? I have crushed coral and 1.5 tbsp of aquarium salt in the tank. I know the gh/kh is most likely too low for guppies but I'm unsure of what I should do to raise it that I haven't already done.20220421_135109.jpg.9b90b23766f6b7c3a430cd154c7c99e5.jpg20220421_150804.jpg.613320c7c1148bfa1c020c20e3b8dd2a.jpg

Edited by JaydenDSin
Unfortunately fish in question died this morning.

On 4/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

I think the KH is enough for guppies. The guppy in picture one looks a bit skinny.

Yeah, she wasn't eating when I put food in the tank. She was swimming off to the side while the rest of them ate. Also the tattering started yesterday. What do you think the issue might be?

On 4/21/2022 at 3:23 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

It could be wasting disease. You should dose medication like Expel-P.

I've got Ich-X, Paracleanse, Maracyn, and aquarium salt. Would any of these medicines be similar to Expel-P? Also, is this contagious and should I separate her from the other 5 that are doing well? They all came from the same tank at the store.

On 4/21/2022 at 3:32 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Paracleanse is pretty close to Expel-P as Paracleanse have a dewormer ingredient called Praziquantel. So, you should try dosing paracleanse.

Alright! One last question. Should I do a water change before dosing it considering the water still has one does of paracleanse, maracyn, and ich-x currently sitting in it from Sunday or should I just start dosing and follow the instructions on the back of the package?

On 4/21/2022 at 3:50 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Great and give me updates!

Update:

Good news, the one that I had you comment on started eating yesterday. I fed very little, I just wanted to see if she would bite and she did.

Bad News: Looks like she probably has hole in the head as well which luckily paracleanse helps with but that developed this morning. Also looks like her sister developed dropsy last night before I went to bed.

I'm currently actively treating with paracleanse and I don't have another hospital tank, I already have two running and the other has my male guppies. Should I dose with Maracyn as well or maybe just add some aquarium salt?

On 4/23/2022 at 3:41 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Just add some aquarium salt since you have those two treatments of Paracleanse going.

Sounds good! These are the photos that I've gotten of the same guppy today. I caught one of my other guppies being a bully to her on camera so I moved this little girl to a floating breeding box. I haven't seen that guppy bully any other fish yet but I'm keeping an eye out.

20220423_154623.jpg

20220423_154602.jpg

20220423_154125.jpg

The more I look at the pictures, the less I think there's hole in the head and the more I think that somethings just wrong with her left eye.

• Sad 1

On 4/23/2022 at 4:09 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Yeah, keep an eye on her and tell me if you see any improvements or not.

I will. I'm really regretting buying from that specific fish store. The last time I did, I lost all of the guppies I got from them but it's been awhile and these looked healthy so I took a chance. I'm really regretting that decision.

On 4/23/2022 at 4:12 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Where did you get these fish? 

A petco about 45 minutes away. Unfortunately I dont have a very good local mom and pop fish store. The petco closer to me is actually really good, but it was gonna be around week before they were gonna get more female guppies in and when I checked on the ones they got, they looked healthy, and they probably were, their aquatics team is great, but they were all one color.

Update on the two guppies that were sick in my tank, both died today. The dropsy one died around 7am and I went back to bed with my little girl in the breeder box not looking great. Woke up a few hours ago and she had died.

There is a bright side to this tho! Someone in the tank gave birth to at least 6 fry! I found them in the tank running from the adults so I scooped them and put them in the breeder box with a piece of pogostemon octopus.

I'm really upset about losing the breeder box girl, she would color up so pretty in the mornings, but there wasnt much I could do.

I'll post pictures in a different tag and tag you if you'd like to see them!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 1:39 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

I would love to see them! And I´m sorry for your loss. @Fish Folk says if the guppies are in the pet store for 3 weeks or more they are relatively healthy.

Unfortunately the ones at my closest store go too quickly and the ones I got from this petco were there for only 2 days. I'll keep this in mind tho! I'm about to post the fry. You've been so much help, I truly appreciate it.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Yw @JaydenDSin I love helping people and I will continue to help you anyway I can.

I appreciate it. This may not have helped my current guppies but I'll be able to help future guppies with similar problems a lot faster with what I've learned.

• Like 1