Input on my 20g high stocking

Rosanne

From what I know about these individual species, I wouldn't recommend this stocking and would encourage you to do more independent research on each species. A 20gal high is a great size for all of these species, but not all together in it.

Pea puffers need to be in a shoal of at least 5 to establish their hierarchy, and many people recommend species-only tanks for them because of how violent they are. They would most likely injure and terrorize all of these tankmates, killing them or injuring/stressing them enough to introduce disease. They can also be quite hard to keep in general. They can be picky with food, needing frozen food and live snails to eat.

Scarlet badis can be even harder from what I hear, with them being extremely shy and being so picky with food that they would most likely only eat live baby brine shrimp. This makes tankmates hard for this species too, because of their shyness they can be outcompeted for food by other fish. Both scarlet badis and pea puffers would require a very heavily planted tank and specific food, and I would highly recommend against tankmates for either of these. You could do a heavily planted species-only tank for either, if you are experienced and up to the challenge of their requirements.

If you want a community tank with kuuli loaches, corydoras and shrimp, I would do them and a nice centerpiece fish such as a pair of honey gouramis or any variation of German Blue rams. You could also do livebearers such as guppies or platies; they are both very peaceful, friendly and hardy and come in many different variations and colors! They are also very energetic and fun to watch.

I have no knowledge about newts, but have never heard of them being kept with tropical aquarium fish so I would encourage you to do lots of research on their temperament and tank requirements. Good luck with your tank and I hope you do something fun and that brings you joy 🙂 

Edited by hannah662parker

Thank you Hanna,

I agree with the scarlet badis. They get lost in there. The tank is heavily planted. I pulled the juvenile puffers out of my 40 breeder because I had 12 in there. These three are cruising together very calmly but I realize that could change.  The puffers, kuhli and newt practically bump into each other and it doesn’t phase them. I’ve never had kuhli’s before, I was expecting them to hide during the day. These are babies and oh my gosh they don’t stop all day up-and-down and swimming all around the tank, they are so cute I just love them. I don’t know whether their behavior will change when they get older but right now they are so active. 
Thank you, I’ll take your advice and pull the puffers and badis. I would love to hear your thoughts on the kuhli loaches if you’ve had them before.

Thank you for your help 

Rosanne 

• Love 1