Spray foam insulation being installed in attic - will fish be ok?

Oreganoodle

In about a month, a crew is coming to weatherize the attic, which will involve installing spray foam.  We've been informed that we will have to leave the house for 72 hours while it cures.  Do you think the off gassing of the spray foam in the attic will affect the fish tank on the first floor?  What would you do if you had to evacuate your fish tank for 3 days?

On 4/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, Oreganoodle said:

In about a month, a crew is coming to weatherize the attic, which will involve installing spray foam.  We've been informed that we will have to leave the house for 72 hours while it cures.  Do you think the off gassing of the spray foam in the attic will affect the fish tank on the first floor?  What would you do if you had to evacuate your fish tank for 3 days?

I think I would figure out a way to vent the attic really well while it cures, like using a fan at any opening to the outside. (vent) 

Also keep the attic sealed off from the house as best you can.

How large of a tank here? 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:32 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

How large of a tank here? 

It's a 34 gallon tank. The attic is pretty sealed off from the house - but they still want us out of here; which is what makes me wonder if the fish tank will be ok.  I do have a room in the house that shares no air with the rest of the house, and I could move the tank in there. I'm just trying to gage if it is necessary or not.  I will ask them, but the weatherization company probably won't know I am guessing.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, Oreganoodle said:

Do you think the off gassing of the spray foam in the attic will affect the fish tank on the first floor?  What would you do if you had to evacuate your fish tank for 3 days?

I think your main contaminant is going to be dust. I would cover the aquarium with a towel, potentially a tarp or something that will allow air to flow out but not necessarily setting internally through the towel.

https://archive.epa.gov/epa/saferchoice/potential-chemical-exposures-spray-polyurethane-foam.html#routes

I would run lots and lots and lots and lots of carbon during the time they are doing anything in the house, immediate water change after, and the following 2 weeks I would run more carbon.

I really hope things turn out OK.

Edited by nabokovfan87

Just to check 1st is under the attic or is there a floor in-between?

It maybe that the main risk is to people is them sleeping underneath the treatment zone so easier to kick you out completely.

I would cover the tank if it's very toxic they are going to venting the house so all the windows will be open. If I can I would use extra air line to move the air pumps to the freshest air I can . And run carbon. 

On 4/21/2022 at 3:33 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Just to check 1st is under the attic or is there a floor in-between?

There is a floor in between. The fish tank is on the first floor. The attic is pretty well sealed off from the second floor, but the second floor and first floor are pretty open to each other as the whole house is heated by a wood stove on the first floor so there are openings from the first floor to the second to allow the heat to get up.

• Like 1

Running carbon is a great idea. I'm kind of surprised it's so bad you have to leave for 72 hours really. I think I would ask them what EXACTLY to expect. 

No one does that kind of insulating around here but I've seen it done on tv a million times and the whole camera crew doesn't go run and hide. You know?  Maybe that 72 hours is some kind of government mandate or something.

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on how it went for anyone who might be googling what to do in the future. I did a water change the night before they came, put fresh carbon in the filter, and put the carbon that had been in the filter into a higher flow area of the tank. I couldn't add extra carbon to the filter b/c all my extra room is already taken up by crushed coral and I didn't want to futz with that.  I then built a structure (my kids have this tubelox building toy that was perfect) to hold a sheet over the top of the tank without it being right on top. It was probably overkill, but better safe the sorry.

All the fishes were fine - they even multiplied while we were out...

• Like 1
  • Love 2