Botanicals: Where to find them, is this safe for my fish?

nabokovfan87

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at adding leaves (eggs might form on them if the corys enjoy that surface) or some alder cones.  The crux is that right now I need to slowly boost KH, which will slightly boost PH. I am perfectly fine running a blackwater tank and can either add some wood or I can add some cones or something small like that.  The tank in question, hopefully, will have a carpet of plants, which just means that wood makes more sense or I can lean some leaves along the glass / sides and let the carpet do it's thing.

My main issue is that I really need to know if alder cones or birch cones are sharp in any way. Is this something that is not a good idea to add in with bottom feeders and barbels, or will they be fine?

I also am trying to find a "good source" for botanicals. I think I found.... tannin aquatics as the go-to for now.  I also may end up just adding leaves from the co-op and finding the cones elsewhere if they are safe enough for me to use.

I appreciate any advice from anyone with some experience in this area.

I've had good luck with Tannin Aquatics, as you've mentioned they're kind of the go-to. They've had difficulty keeping stock as of late, much the same as anyone, but they're quite communicative; I actually requested an update on something that was out of stock earlier this evening, and the owner got back with me shortly thereafter to inform me of future delivery schedules. So, quite responsive, and responsible.

• Like 1

My panda Cory love putting eggs on almond leaves I make into a flower/fan shape and suction cup on the back wall  in front of the powerhead. It seems mine seek out areas of high flow for their eggs. I ended up with one Pygmy cory baby but never seen eggs so I’m guessing they hid them in the overlaps of the leaves in front of the powerhead as well. I get mine on Amazon. Rinse them and in they go. I have never had an issue I always choose the highest rated sellers. 
edit to add these are some sellers I purchased from with no issues

6EA2B09C-4C0A-41F3-BC90-F98C2B598CFF.png

564A87E6-00E2-4FBD-95FE-B598DDF7286E.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 4:30 AM, Atitagain said:

I’ve had salt-N-pepper and peppered corys in a tank with lots of Adler cones and acorn caps for over 6 months. I’ve had no issues and IMO they are in no real risk of having issues. Not an expert just my experience.

Awesome. Thank you for sharing your experience with that.

• Like 1