Baby Brine Shrimp Investigtion

ADMWNDSR83

I am thinking that my next order from ACO will be a hatchery so I can start giving BBS more frequently.  My LFS sells small containers of Brine shrimp live, and they are much bigger than what I'm seeing on YouTube.  Will the shrimp grow much after they hatch?  What would you feed them?  Or are these different animals that are bigger?  I don't have fry at this point, but I do have livebearers and angelfish.  Also, when I put the Brine Shrimp from my lfs in the tank, even my assassin snails got in on the action!  I would love to be able to give them that treat, but don't want to get the wrong stuff!

From what I have heard from @Cory’s videos, brine shrimp will grow and give birth to live young when fed and kept. They lay eggs under stressful conditions. He had them in outdoor ponds. Not sure on diet but I assume nothing much different than what we feed fish? Brine shrimp are sea monkeys which you keep alive in basically a jar with salt and feed every once in a while and they just...live and do their thing. 

I just bought the ziss hatchery and am excited to try it out. My experiment with sea monkeys in college was very easy and they lived at the front desk until an RA accidentally knocked them over. RIP my tiny kingdom. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I am thinking that my next order from ACO will be a hatchery so I can start giving BBS more frequently.  My LFS sells small containers of Brine shrimp live, and they are much bigger than what I'm seeing on YouTube.  Will the shrimp grow much after they hatch?  What would you feed them?  Or are these different animals that are bigger?  I don't have fry at this point, but I do have livebearers and angelfish.  Also, when I put the Brine Shrimp from my lfs in the tank, even my assassin snails got in on the action!  I would love to be able to give them that treat, but don't want to get the wrong stuff!

They molt and grow quickly after they hatch but don't need food right away in their early stages.

They can be fed spirulina, some fry foods, crushed up foods, ect...

The animals at your LFS could be brine shrimp just older and bigger.

In the typical feeding of baby brine shrimp you don't feed them, you give them to the fish shortly after they hatch, about 18-24 hours of incubation then feeding. Something labeled Artemia eggs or brine shrimp eggs is what you're looking for but the Co-op sells quality eggs at competative price so IMO buy from them. Once you start feeding baby brine shrimp, BBS, you'll notice the difference quickly.

I just got the hatchery, to go with the breeder box, and the egg tumbler. I'm ready to level-up, but I don't want to rush anything.

I bred brine shrimp accidentally in marine canister filters, just as a side-effect of live rock. They were a cool part of the ecosystem.

I think what I will have to dial in is quantity, since I do not have a lot of gallons to feed.

I still have a five-gallon bucket of marine salt, which is now useful again.

4 hours ago, RovingGinger said:

From what I have heard from @Cory’s videos, brine shrimp will grow and give birth to live young when fed and kept. They lay eggs under stressful conditions. He had them in outdoor ponds. Not sure on diet but I assume nothing much different than what we feed fish? Brine shrimp are sea monkeys which you keep alive in basically a jar with salt and feed every once in a while and they just...live and do their thing. 

I just bought the ziss hatchery and am excited to try it out. My experiment with sea monkeys in college was very easy and they lived at the front desk until an RA accidentally knocked them over. RIP my tiny kingdom. 

Sorry mate have to ask what us a "RA"