Where do people buy bigger tanks?

Rikostan

I don't mean huge, but like 90-225 gallon tanks? 

I don't have a LFS, and I don't see any large tanks anywhere near me on craigslist or facebook market.

I'll soon have some extra space in my office, so I am going to put together another of the cinder block and wood stands. I can go one level with a 5 foot tank or two levels if I do 4 foot tanks, but the largest I can seem to find around me is 55 gallon tanks.

It really depends on you budget. How much are you looking to spend on a bigger tank? I got my 300 gallon in a trade on craigslist For a 120 and a 125 both of those tanks I got for cheap so in all I got my 300 with stand for 115 total but I am also on that website everyday so I get the good deals as soon as they are posted.  If you are willing to pay for a new one that increases your chances of getting a good big tank to 100%. also depending On how far you are willing to drive that can help a lot I once got a 150 gallon for dirt cheap but I had to drive for about 4 hours one way to get it.  Where are you located? 

• Like 1

I don't have a budget... I mean I'd rather not pay thousands, but if that's what they cost, that's what they cost.

I'd prefer to get a newer tank rather than used at that size, but I am open to a used tank or two.

I'm not willing to drive very far at all, but that doesn't really matter since I no longer have a truck, just my wife's little Malibu. It held a 55 gallon with no problem, but I imagine the largest tank I can fit is a 90. I have looked about 200 miles from home on CL and the market though and haven't really seen anything. 

I'm in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY.

Edited by Rikostan

I was having the same problem and eventually just bought the glass and built a 90g myself. Nobody around here getting rid of anything but their old aqueon 20s.

Half inch glass is heavy, and not exactly cheap. Next big aquarium (like 200-gallon big) I decide to get, I'm going to just take a road trip with a u-haul and have it built by professionals. Not that there is anything wrong with the one I built, but I absolutely could not fathom building a larger one by myself. 

• Like 1

I know this is not quite what you are asking as this tank is larger, just something to think about, like how will I get the aquarium in the house?

For my 500 gallon tank I worked through my LFS to have it custom built by Oceanic. Once the tank gets to a certain size it is not just a matter of finding it or buying it. The issue becomes moving it and placing it on a stand.

The LFS moved the large aquarium off the truck with a forklift through an opening in wall of our house. 12 people with suction cup handholds then moved the tank from the forklift to a custom stand built by Oceanic. Without the manufacturer approved stand, Oceanic could not provide a warranty on the aquarium. Leveling was critical as was the plumbing of the bulkheads.

It is good to have experienced, smart people who have moved a large aquarium before. I wonder what @Taylor Blake experience was in moving his 300 gallon tank.

• Like 1

@Rikostani totally forgot about the diy way but looks like some of the others got it covered. customaquariums.com will ship you a tank but there is a price tag to something like that I have never used them personally so I don't know much about the tanks they make but if you have the budget to get a nice tank they are pretty top of the line 

@Danieli am not done by pros at all 😂  me and my father and my "little" brother are fairly large guys. I went to get the tank I loaded the 125 and the 120 in the truck myself while my dad played with me kid. To give you an idea of how strong we northmen are the three of us can move that size tank pretty easy by ourselves (I do not recomend doing this always have a partner when moving tanks). When I went to get the tank it was just me and my father (keep in mind this is a 8 foot long all glass 300 gallon with braces the glass is thick!)The guys helped us load up the tank in the back of the truck and we were able to put the tank and the stand side by side in the truck bed. We strapped it down and when we got it home it was only the two of us. We were messing with that thing for more then an hour. Before we got it out of the bed of the truck and on the stand. It sat in the garage for almost 3 months while I resealed it and water tested it. I was also waiting for help to get it the next 8 feet into the pet room. When I got the help I needed it was my poor father and my little brother we were working on moving that tank for a few hours just the three of us but we got it in to the room and it looks great!!!

2A6A48DA-7D98-4E20-AAB6-B7A2DD3155A9.png

19681879-FC33-468E-B816-50D3AEFCEA49.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, yannachka said:

here are some links for you, you’ll need to have your local stores order them in:

petsmart: 150g

petsmart: 125g

petsmart: 90g rimless

this is aqueon’s website, you can pick any standard size they manufacture and see if it sold locally in a store near you. just select the size and hit buy now to be taken to the page.

aqueon

Thanks! I did see the petsmart ones before, but they don't seem to sell them without a stand and you can't get them shipped, so I'd have to rent a truck to go get 'em … although I'll probably end up renting a truck when I finally find one anyways.

I did not see the aqueon one before, but nobody has anything larger than a 75 around me, that still helps though. Maybe I can work something out with the closest Country Max store to bring one in.

Thanks again for the links!

1 hour ago, Rikostan said:

Thanks! I did see the petsmart ones before, but they don't seem to sell them without a stand and you can't get them shipped, so I'd have to rent a truck to go get 'em … although I'll probably end up renting a truck when I finally find one anyways.

I did not see the aqueon one before, but nobody has anything larger than a 75 around me, that still helps though. Maybe I can work something out with the closest Country Max store to bring one in.

Thanks again for the links!

you can ask your local petco if they can order one in, they have in the past for me since they carry aqueon tanks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yannachka said:

you can ask your local petco if they can order one in, they have in the past for me since they carry aqueon tanks. 

Country Max is a local feed store that is on the Aqueon list too. It's only a half hour away compared to over an hour away for petco. Hopefully they will order one for me.

I won't be ready for it for art least a month anyways, so maybe I'll just keep looking on the yard sale type pages until the Spring and if I don't see anything by then, pull the trigger with which ever place will order one for me.

You gave me some food for thought though, thanks!

• Like 1

Craigslist is a great way to hunt for big tanks if you're willing to drive - just rent a uhual when it comes to moving them. And bring a team and equipment, those big tanks are a pain to move. My 240 was a beast. Something like 600+ lbs empty.

Other option - go directly to a tank maker. There's several on ebay that make very large tanks, all custom. So you can get exactly what you want from the get go.

3 hours ago, yannachka said:

here are some links for you, you’ll need to have your local stores order them in:

petsmart: 150g

petsmart: 125g

petsmart: 90g rimless

this is aqueon’s website, you can pick any standard size they manufacture and see if it sold locally in a store near you. just select the size and hit buy now to be taken to the page.

aqueon

Pet smart has 150?