Overhead filtration?

Dprimka

In the most recent video, Cory and Dean talk for a moment about aio nano tanks, and they say that they’re only really satisfied with tanks with built in overhead filtration? What is an example of this? I know that Cory has a video on an overhead sump, but is this the same thing but on a nano scale? 

I didn’t see the clip, but I really like my all in one nano tank. It came with two huge pieces of coarse sponge,  room in the chamber for another large piece of sponge and the heater. The submerged pump makes it completely silent. 

Edited by Patrick_G

On 4/17/2022 at 10:53 AM, Dprimka said:

What is an example of this?

It's not "nano" but there is a ton of people who just use planter boxes and make their own. Something similar to, but a smaller scale version of this....

They also have them where they flow like a sump from one side to another passing through media.  Both versions are "overhead" filtration and give different advantages.  Very cool to see some more on this topic. I am anxiously awaiting to see more 🙂 .

Thank you all for your wonderful insight! And thank you Cory!! 

This sort of makes me curious, besides just straightforward tanks, what are things about all in ones or other types of tanks that bother people and what do you wish manufacturers did instead?

On 4/17/2022 at 8:46 PM, Dprimka said:

Thank you all for your wonderful insight! And thank you Cory!! 

This sort of makes me curious, besides just straightforward tanks, what are things about all in ones or other types of tanks that bother people and what do you wish manufacturers did instead?

My problem with all-in-one's is the lack of choice. You get the components that they integrate, and there is usually little option to change. There may be some room for customization, like replacing filter media with sponge, but little else.

It also reminds me a lesson from my youth  when my dad ran his own TV repair shop business. Console televisions were the big ticket item. A 55" TV, with a turntable, cassette deck, AM/FM radio, and large speakers, all in a nice 500+ lb cabinet. When one component had a failure, you were out everything while it was in the repair shop.

When a component of the all in one fails, you have to try to source the OEM component, or you have to engineer an alternate component into the tank.

I don't really like the kits either. I would rather just put together the components that I want.

• Like 1

I've been contemplating making something like this for the past few months because I really like my sunsun surface skimmer. I also watched another video where someone did something similar with a under gravel filter.  I didn't know it existed either. Neat.   

• 5 weeks later...

I haven’t had a chance to take photos or videos of my Askoll Pure system, since I’m currently running the tank with a different setup. I did do a search, and there are some videos:

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=Askoll+pure

I still have not met anyone else in forums or chat who has one of these. I really liked the whole setup and filter, but I pulled it to upgrade my lighting. I might try to fit my 3.0 into it someday.