What are your greatest aspirations as a fish keeper?

I think we all want (or should) a tank of happy healthy creatures. That includes whatever collection of vertebrates, invertebrates, and plants.

My goal when I decided to get back into the hobby was to provide myself and my family with a calming slice of nature to watch and enjoy. I hoped it to provide a bit of escape from the hassles and hustle of the world, a bit of therapy.

Now, 5 months in, I can only surmise that I needed a lot more therapy than I originally thought; as my single tank has grown to 3, and I am wishing I could find the space for a larger tank and/or an outdoor pond.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

At some point I'd love to open up a fish store; it was kind of a dream of mine back maybe fifteen years ago to open a place in Socorro that would be a catch-all for all my various interests and hobbies (none of which were, or are to this day, served by anything in Socorro), of which fish was obviously one aspect. I don't know if that's a valid dream at this point, what with everything else going on, but maybe once things settle down, maybe as a retirement idea.

• Like 5

My goal is to continuously try new things. Except for the hard and fast things that need done to sustain life in the tank I don’t believe there is a single “best” way of doing things. Only maybe a best way for that particular situation.  So My goal is to never become stagnant in my thinking.

My second goal is nitrate. My tap is 25-35. Basically liquid fertilizer. My tanks remain there only occasionally creeping to 40-45 by water change. I want to do a wc driving my nitrate to 25-30.  Then by wc time it be 5-10 but not zero without going the RO/DI route  

I’ve only gotten there with my heavy stocking by growing so many plants or the tank gets so overgrown with pothos roots that my fish have limited elbow room so to speak. I’m currently trying different emergents. 

A loftier goal that is more of a pipe dream…I shattered my wrist a few years ago so cannot properly grasp aquascape tools. It sure would be nice to NOT continuously have wet armpits and socks 🤷‍♀️🤣🤩

• Like 4

On 4/17/2022 at 4:27 PM, Guppysnail said:

My goal is to continuously try new things. Except for the hard and fast things that need done to sustain life in the tank I don’t believe there is a single “best” way of doing things. Only maybe a best way for that particular situation.  So My goal is to never become stagnant in my thinking.

My second goal is nitrate. My tap is 25-35. Basically liquid fertilizer. My tanks remain there only occasionally creeping to 40-45 by water change. I want to do a wc driving my nitrate to 25-30.  Then by wc time it be 5-10 but not zero without going the RO/DI route  

I’ve only gotten there with my heavy stocking by growing so many plants or the tank gets so overgrown with pothos roots that my fish have limited elbow room so to speak. I’m currently trying different emergents. 

A loftier goal that is more of a pipe dream…I shattered my wrist a few years ago so cannot properly grasp aquascape tools. It sure would be nice to NOT continuously have wet armpits and socks 🤷‍♀️🤣🤩

you arent supposed to put your feet in the tank.🤪

• Haha 3

On 4/17/2022 at 9:24 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

What are your greatest hopes as a fish keeper? Do you want to create a new strain of fish, find a new species, or open a store?

I want to have a rack of 2-3 tanks (probably 20L or 29G) and I want to use that to breed amanos.  I want to have a coral tank eventually as well.

Having a sump would be nice, Also.

• Like 1

I just really enjoy having aquariums. I'd like to eventually start making money on some things but mainly I'd like to know my fish are living their best life. 

If I had money some day I would like to open a fish store and run it the right way. There is a serious lack of freshwater fish stores where I am at besides the big box ones. I think one done well would do well.

• Like 3

Honestly, I would just love a couple tanks with happy and thriving inhabitants and plants that are growing. I would love to be able to look at an aquatic plant and know what it needs at the first sign of deficiency. 

For now I'll settle right here where I'm at, enjoying my adventures and this wonderful and helpful group! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 5

On 4/17/2022 at 12:24 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

What are your greatest hopes as a fish keeper? Do you want to create a new strain of fish, find a new species, or open a store?

Have fun commenting 🙂

I really enjoy the angle of creating an environment where my fish breed and my plants grow. 
My greatest hope as a fish keeper, is to continue to “enjoy nature daily”

• Like 2

My goal: keep my tanks balanced and my plants thriving. Keep a semi “scaped” jungle look. Keep my community tanks thriving and pull fish out to breed to spread them around the fish room. Love dwarf cichlids, angels tetras and Corydora. Been successful with cacatoiudes, angels, and glolight tetras so far. Have had a bad run with corys but going to try and get some bronze (nice and hardy and easy to breed) soon from Aqua huna. Going to order 12 with the hopes I can breed 30-40 to put groups of 10-15 in my 75, 40b and 2 55s. 

• Like 3

My larger goal is to create beautiful peaceful aquatic gardens for my fish to live in, happy and healthy. With less than a year's experience in community tanks and guppies, I am still in the process of finding the right mixes of fish, plants, and tanks for me. 

My short term goal is to have success with some plants that I've failed with so far and to try new plants, too. I would love to get some pink and red leaves going in my tanks, and I want to try madagascar lace this year.

• Like 3

A few things:

- Have a successful tank with pressurized CO2. I've always tried, and it's always backfired - too much CO2, and the fish gasping for air....OR....fluctuating with not enough CO2 / too much...CONSTANTLY having to fidget with the regulator. All the CO2 videos I've ever seen say it's not that hard....but that's not the case when I've attempted it. 😞

-Figure out how to successfully hatch or create a daphnia colony to add as another live food for my tank

-Figure out how to successfully hatch or create vinegar eels - another one I've tried in the past....and no VE's ever hatched for me. 😞

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

I would love to make a strain of fish. I have a black molly with little blue speckles and i wonder if i could breed til i have full blue mollies. David clapsaddle's article of blue mollies is what got me interested in selectively breeding fish in the first place. Of course, clapsaddle never did get full blue mollies, so if he couldn't, what hope do I have? Still, mollies were the first fish i kept and the first i bred, so creating a new strain would be a great way for me to give back to the hobby.

• Like 1

My biggest aspiration is to convert my 65 gallon to a planted tank. The process would require tearing up 3 different aquariums or rehoming the Silver Dollars.  My other aspiration is to finally comprehend the secrets of balancing my tanks.  They are all very different from each other.

• Like 3

On 4/17/2022 at 4:45 PM, Widgets said:

I think we all want (or should) a tank of happy healthy creatures. That includes whatever collection of vertebrates, invertebrates, and plants.

My goal when I decided to get back into the hobby was to provide myself and my family with a calming slice of nature to watch and enjoy. I hoped it to provide a bit of escape from the hassles and hustle of the world, a bit of therapy.

Now, 5 months in, I can only surmise that I needed a lot more therapy than I originally thought; as my single tank has grown to 3, and I am wishing I could find the space for a larger tank and/or an outdoor pond.

Does that make this forum group therapy? 🙂 I've gone from zero glass boxes of water to six since August 2021. And that doesn't include the sister 75s in progress.

• Like 2