Will this stand work?

Anjum

I just bought a 29 gallon tank but I messed up with my measurements.. I thought the cabinet I intended to use was longer, but it's exactly the same length as the tank, 30". I feel like the tank overhangs by the slightest amount, not more than 1/8". 

I've attached a few pics showing the placement. The last pic is the bottom of the tank showing the base. The bottom rim seems wide enough to support sufficiently on the cabinet. But I'm seeking input from others with experience. If it seems too risky, I'll find another cabinet. 

Thanks! 

PXL_20220417_033702183.jpg

PXL_20220417_033619962.jpg

PXL_20220417_033612455.jpg

PXL_20220417_033531636.jpg

PXL_20220417_033328216.jpg

the rounded corners are kind of iffy. 29G tanks flex a lot because of the height and length of the main panels (filled it's about an inch on each panel of deflection at the middle. What if you did a 20H and then found something else for the 29G?

If you wanted to run the 29G, I would at the least put a rubber mat under it. You can also put a piece of wood and rubber mat if you're concerned at all.

rubber mat = yoga mat type of pad.

Personally, I think that looks fine. The bulk of the side rim is being supported, even if the very edge is just barely not; since the rim is doing all the support on the bottom of the tank anyway, I don't see it being a huge issue. I do agree with @nabokovfan87 that a rubber mat of some kind would alleviate any lingering concern in my mind, though I don't see it as a huge problem. You're not getting massive lever action like you might if it was an inch or two over.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 10:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

the rounded corners are kind of iffy. 29G tanks flex a lot because of the height and length of the main panels (filled it's about an inch on each panel of deflection at the middle. What if you did a 20H and then found something else for the 29G?

If you wanted to run the 29G, I would at the least put a rubber mat under it. You can also put a piece of wood and rubber mat if you're concerned at all.

rubber mat = yoga mat type of pad.

I did consider returning the 29 for a 20H, that would fit perfect. 

On 4/16/2022 at 10:58 PM, Baphijmm said:

Personally, I think that looks fine. The bulk of the side rim is being supported, even if the very edge is just barely not; since the rim is doing all the support on the bottom of the tank anyway, I don't see it being a huge issue. I do agree with @nabokovfan87 that a rubber mat of some kind would alleviate any lingering concern in my mind, though I don't see it as a huge problem. You're not getting massive lever action like you might if it was an inch or two over.

I've seen rubber mats recommended before, but I guess I'm not clear on what they achieve?? 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:03 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The nice thing for 29G aquariums, even if you had to buy a stand, you can get one for about $65 from the big box store. Not bad at all.

I would really like to keep the 29, I had hoped for the extra volume. Honestly, I'd love a 55 or 75, but I'm stair stepping my way up... 

I did already find a really nice solid birch cabinet on offer up for $75 that's the right dimensions. If I can make a decision before it sells, that's a solution too. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:03 PM, Anjum said:

I've seen rubber mats recommended before, but I guess I'm not clear on what they achieve?? 

it helps to protect below the tank, makes it so the tank won't move, it also helps ever so slightly to even out the surface if there is any (minor) irregularities.  It's a "shock absorber" of sorts.

On 4/16/2022 at 11:03 PM, Anjum said:

I did already find a really nice solid birch cabinet on offer up for $75 that's the right dimensions. If I can make a decision before it sells, that's a solution too. 

Like I said, my holdback is how much 29's deflect when full.  It's pretty substantial.  I would have a 20H and find a stand for the 29G. That would be my choice. If you want to use that table, get a 1/2" board or something for the top of it. NBD.

but that would mean 2 tanks 😉

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:13 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

it helps to protect below the tank, makes it so the tank won't move, it also helps ever so slightly to even out the surface if there is any (minor) irregularities.  It's a "shock absorber" of sorts.

Like I said, my holdback is how much 29's deflect when full.  It's pretty substantial.  I would have a 20H and find a stand for the 29G. That would be my choice. If you want to use that table, get a 1/2" board or something for the top of it. NBD.

but that would mean 2 tanks 😉

Ahh that makes sense about the rubber mat, thank you! 

I have a 10 gallon bowfront which was on that cabinet until a couple hours ago. I moved it to my kitchen table to figure this 29 out. And I have a 5 gallon upstairs with 3 male guppies I recently inherited.. a 20H would make a good guppy tank... I feel myself quickly becoming a tank hoarder! 😅 I want 1 of everything! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think its fine. your not going to have very many pounds distributed beyond the arc of that edge. Most of the weight will be on the main part of the table, assuming the top is decently level (a rubber mat would help with this weight distribution on a mildly uneven surface).

Edited by Minanora
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 11:24 PM, Minanora said:

I think its fine. your not going to have very many pounds distributed beyond the arc of that edge. Most of the weight will be on the main part of the table, assuming the top is decently level (a rubber mat would help with this weight distribution on a mildly uneven surface).

I need to check the level on that cabinet.. I'll do that tomorrow. And sounds like a rubber mat is pretty standard. I've got an extra yoga mat, so that's no problem.

Edited by Anjum

I've used fabric, truck bed mats, floor mats, towels.... My 75G has nothing under it, but it's so heavy I focused on the floor, including the joists, and stand itself. The stand is made for a 75.... But my tank overhangs a bit. Slightly different situation though. The glass is still inside the footprint of the stand. But this is like, 800lbs+

20220416_231721.jpg.3ab5698b9ecfafa40921b554c0399cc1.jpg20220416_231654.jpg.3c4cea65cabd5220ca0c17b365e59e3d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A mat is required beneath a rimless tank, as the bottom surface bears weight and must be protected from imperfections of the tabletop.

I have read that putting a mat under a rimmed tank is a bad idea. The perceived benefit is the mat will compress and help level the surface. The risk is the mat will compress on the edges where the rim touches, allowing the tank to sink enough that the bottom glass touches the mat. This extra force on the bottom glass can break the glass. If the mat is thin enough and the filled tank is light enough, this will not be a problem. I never use a cushioning mat on my rimmed tanks. 

Edited by Widgets
Stupid typos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:25 AM, Widgets said:

A mat is required beneath a rimless tank, as the bottom surface bears weight and must be protected from imperfections of the tabletop.

I have read that putting a mat under a rimmed tank is a bad idea. The perceived benefit is the mat will compress and help level the surface. The risk is the mat will compress on the edges where the rim touches, allowing the tank to sink enough that the bottom glass touches the glass. This extra force on the bottom glass can break the glass. If the mat is thin enough and the filled tank is light enough, this will not be a problem. I never use a cushioning mat on my rimmed tanks. 

That's so interesting. I've almost always had a towel or fabric under my smaller rimmed tanks. But never under anything over 30 gallons or under 10 gallons. Mainly to keep water from pooling under the tanks if a big spill occurs and absorb sound. It's always worked well for me.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, Minanora said:

That's so interesting. I've almost always had a towel or fabric under my smaller rimmed tanks. But never under anything over 30 gallons or under 10 gallons. Mainly to keep water from pooling under the tanks if a big spill occurs and absorb sound. It's always worked well for me.

If I am using a prefab open bottom metal stand, I will make a frame of 1"x2" whitewood. It is not a hardwood, so I figure it may compress a little and protect against a little unevenness. It is probably overkill since the rimmed tanks only need support on the ends.

If I am using something with a solid top, I will first cover the surface with a thick sheet of plastic that hangs slightly over the edges. I hope that any spills will flow across the plastic drip over the edge and not onto the tabletop. I am afraid that a cloth would wick the water under the tank.

Someone mentioned fashioning a cloth cover with a cutout for the tank. When placed over the tank, it would look nicer than the plastic. It might help keep water from wicking under the tank. And, when it gets dirty you can throw it in the laundry. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:25 AM, Widgets said:

I have read that putting a mat under a rimmed tank is a bad idea. The perceived benefit is the mat will compress and help level the surface. The risk is the mat will compress on the edges where the rim touches, allowing the tank to sink enough that the bottom glass touches the mat. This extra force on the bottom glass can break the glass. If the mat is thin enough and the filled tank is light enough, this will not be a problem. I never use a cushioning mat on my rimmed tanks. 

I had read the same, though I think it was in regard to much bigger tanks. 

It sounds like most here would feel ok using the stand as-is. I probably wouldn't hassle with retrofitting this stand for this application. Either use as-is or get something else. That said, after looking at it for a day, I'm not so sure I like how it looks. Maybe I'm just not used to it (there was only a 10 gal on there before) or maybe it's bc it's an empty tank. It might look a lot more interesting once it's scaped. Argh! Decisions decisions. 

• Like 1