Flatworm (probably), or Detritus Worm or Planeria?

AndreaW

From the research I've done, Detritus worms will float up in the water column and wiggle around.

Flatworms (rhabdocoela) and Planeria both glide along the glass similar to what snails do.

So, this creature was found sliding along the glass like a flatworm or planeria, but since it lacks the arrow shaped head, I think I have a flatworm.

So, flatworms are harmless, right?

This is in the 10G tank with a Betta and Nerite Snails. I have live plants and driftwood in there, and I do have some tiny bladder snails (a few here and there) that I squish when I see them. I'm assuming since I'm still seeing random bladder snails that the flatworms are probably not harmful, right? I've heard Planeria will prey on bladder snail eggs or babies.

Pointer finger for size reference and to get the camera to focus:

IMG_2353.JPG.561478b94e86aaee3802e244f98aced9.JPG

Zooomed in and screenshot; head is on the upper left:

IMG_84ECC1B3033B-1.jpeg.9e71cb793885e3f3bd5118c5e2431159.jpeg

Edited by AndreaW

That looks like the worms I found in Least Shrimptopia. I only ever found small ones about the same size as yours. I never got a 100% ID on mine, as I was only seeing them on the back glass. I tried a planaria trap, but didn't catch anything. Then I saw one of the larger Zebra Danio fry eat one off the glass. I haven't worried about it since.

• Like 1

Thanks @Widgets! They definitely do not have the arrow head and eyes. It looks like the image @Guppysnail posted of the rhabdocoela, even down to the white spots in the body.

@Widgets ~ Do you still have them and have you noticed them do anything to be concerned about? It sounds like they are harmless. I only saw them on the glass after I turned the light back on last night to feed Cosmo. I'm doing a light gravel vacuum today but I'm fine to leave them be if they are harmless. I guess that's part of having live plants and a "living" aquarium. 

In the 20 years with my 46G I've never had anything living in the tank that I can see besides ich (and the fish I put or bred in there).

• Like 1

I rarely see them anymore. Probably a mix of the growing Zebra Danio fry and a change in lighting schedule to start the ramp up of the lights to match my morning alarm. The lights get up to speed faster than I do.

I have seen no issues with the fry or the shrimp. The larger Zebra Danio fry love to snack on the worms. Here is a quick video from moments ago.

• Love 2

On 4/16/2022 at 12:34 PM, AndreaW said:

@Widgets ~ Your tank is beautiful and full of life! Is that PSO floating?

Thanks. It was intended to be a shrimp tank with some Least Killifish. Then the temporary resident pair of Zebra Danio decided to spawn. I'm waiting for a UGF for my 10g QT to setup for the larger Zebra Danios while they grow out enough for the LFS. I hope that the stunted Zebra Danio fry will grow when the larger ones are removed, plus I will feel better about the shrimplets that are soon  to hatch.

There is PSO on the left in a pot from my QT tank. More on the right planted in the gravel. And more just floating in the center. It is all trimmings from what I showed in my Community Therapy tank I shared with you back when you contemplating plants for your bowfront. It grows like a weed!

• Love 1