Are fake coconut hides aquarium safe?

FyaNyan

Hi!

I am setting up a breeding tank for BN plecos. I have two fake coconut hides I used to use for my leopard gecko when he was a baby. They are from PetSmart and can be found in the hermit crab/reptile section. Has anyone used these in aquariums? Are they safe?

Thanks

EC23884F-BDC6-4BAE-A771-0CB861D61973.jpeg.0107f8558ad0b4e6cda1b7edb689e1da.jpeg

These huts are made from resin which most aquarium decor is also made of. I'd say as long as the color is IN the resin it should be fine- the only concern would be if it's painted the paint could come off with constant exposure to water. It may not even be an issue then but you take that chance. I've put a few things in my tank made of resin that weren't specifically made for aquariums and it's all turned out fine!

(Fish like plecos could also scrape the paint off, which I wouldn't like so much- I'd be concerned for them)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 4/15/2022 at 10:15 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'd say as long as the color is IN the resin it should be fine- the only concern would be if it's painted the paint could come off with constant exposure to water.

Thanks! I will double check, but I don’t believe the paint is on the outside. Since it’s made for creatures that need moisture in their terrariums, it seems pretty water resistant, too. (It also sinks, so that’s good).

On 4/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, SJ fishing said:

Hard to tell the size but it may be to big for plecos?   I think they like a fairly confined opening and cave

The diameter of the hut is about 4 inches, if that gives you any scale. I may go out and buy some new stuff, but I’ve been told variety helps so the plecos can pick something they like. I also was thinking of sticking a large rock or two near the opening to make the cave entrance smaller.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:36 PM, FyaNyan said:

The diameter of the hut is about 4 inches, if that gives you any scale. I may go out and buy some new stuff, but I’ve been told variety helps so the plecos can pick something they like. I also was thinking of sticking a large rock or two near the opening to make the cave entrance smaller.

Ah ok, smaller than I thought.  I’d give it a shot

• 2 months later...

Just an update, the paint (or whatever coated the huts) came off. Not all, but a substantial amount, and enough to make me take them out.

For anyone else wondering this question—don’t use plastic PetSmart coconut huts in aquariums. At least not without coating them in something waterproof.