Petsmart shrimp display

Jeff

On 4/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Jeff said:

I couldn't believe this when I went to Petsmart today. A HUGE step in the right direction for a big box store!

They had some Amano shrimp in the tank.

not the best filter choice, but looks good. I am surprised there isn't more hardscape or a decent light. No information on what you need for their shells and stuff, but yeah. It's "A start" in the right direction.

I went to petsmart yesterday. I always look at the bettas.  I was pretty...... horrified when I saw their new "globetta" section.

On top of them never having good conditions, that just made it really highlight the issues for me. I was trying to find some glue for plants, person didn't know what it was (I'm totally fine with that) but they had 2 aisles of "decorations" and an endcap with a choice of brown or grey substrate. Very weird store I have locally.

In mine, they also started to encroach the terrarium stuff where they used to have the frozen foods.

The setup in the photo is from one of their kits. Unfortunately kits still have a ways to go in terms of filters/lights and the filter in this specific kit is actually a step backwards imo because it cuts into the tank's swimming space.

It's a big step forward from bettas in cups next to 1 quart "homes" for them and bags of dayglo gravel and a single craptastic plastic plant. If people see that something like this is a good start for tiny shrimp, maybe they'll consider fish as needing even more, and that's a good thing.

We have a long way to go before there are huge stores like we see in blogs from the Netherlands and Germany where there seem to be a lot more serious adult aquarists, not just families looking for a quick diversion for the kids like is so often the case in the US.

• Like 3

On 4/15/2022 at 4:25 PM, ange said:

The setup in the photo is from one of their kits. Unfortunately kits still have a ways to go in terms of filters/lights and the filter in this specific kit is actually a step backwards imo because it cuts into the tank's swimming space.

It could be much worse. They could be advertising a Betta in this tank. Also, why does there need to be swimming space for shrimp? 

On 4/15/2022 at 8:55 PM, Jeff said:

It could be much worse. They could be advertising a Betta in this tank. Also, why does there need to be swimming space for shrimp? 

The main issue that I have with it is that it's a HOB filter, notorious for sucking up shrimp, but also positioned so that it negatively impacts fish. The tank isn't the right size for a betta or most adult fish, but it's the right size for fry. Sure it's a good attempt but I was trying to point out room for improvement. A beginner may buy the tank, put shrimp in them, and get discouraged when the shrimp are hurt due to the lack of baffle on the filter.